PDA

View Full Version : Savanna Morning

Ed Cordes
01-24-2011, 07:00 PM
This image was made relatively early in the AM on the way out on a game drive in the Serengeti. The color was super in the early AM light.

40D with 24-105 @ 45mm. Evaluative metering at ISO 400 EV - 1 2/3; F8 1/1000 hand held. Full frame horizontal cropped to pano. Viveza 2 used on lower image to bring out the color in the FG.

Thanks for looking. C&C most welcome.

Hazel Grant
01-24-2011, 07:21 PM
pano crop seems a good idea. Light just the right place in tree. Shadows of foreground give texture.
good job

dankearl
01-24-2011, 07:49 PM
Beautiful color and processing.
Maybe a bit more cloud definition and contrast if possible?
Nitpicking really as it is a very nice image.

Robert Amoruso
01-25-2011, 06:25 AM
Two things I would suggest Ed. In ether background of the tree at the lower left large branch, is w loge bush" it would have been preferable ief you could have moved left and got that bush out from behind the tree and gave the tree branch more definition against the lighter background.

I would bring up details in the foreground. Not a lot but as it is now, I am left wondering what is there. I agree great light. Some minor tweaks in PS and your done.

Dave Mills
01-25-2011, 11:31 AM
Hi E d, beautiful light along with an interesting tree as a center of interest. Good suggestions by Robert. When framing the image I might have gotten a bit lower so the bush wasn't merging with the lower branch of the tree and interfering with the silhouette...

Ed Cordes
01-25-2011, 11:53 AM
Thanks for all the comments. Another restriction we had was that we were not allowed to leave the land Rovers. Therefore a lower angle was impossible. I also had the camera set up for early morning wildlife that sometimes got close so the ISO was a bit higher than necessary.

Andrew McLachlan
01-25-2011, 05:30 PM
Hi Ed, very nice light and like the pano crop. Agree on the tree as Robert mentioned.

Roman Kurywczak
01-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Hey Ed,
All to familiar with the restrictions! Interestingly enough.....going to f16 would have kept a safe SS and possibly given you a sunburst! Just something to keep in mind and the suggested tweaks will take this up a notch!

Daniel Cadieux
01-30-2011, 06:18 PM
I love the shadows from the low bushes in LLC, very neat. I agree with Robert about the tree behind the main tree, but still a very nice image. One can just feel the day awakening before your eyes.