PDA

View Full Version : Grand Prismatic - Yellowstone

Judd Patterson
01-03-2008, 11:49 PM
http://www.juddpatterson.com/BPN/grand_prismatic1.jpg

I really love Grand Prismatic hot spring for its wonderful colors and huge size. The view from the nearby hill beckons many photographers. This view wouldn't be possible without the tree thinning done by a portion of the 1989 wildfire.

Canon 5D, 24-105mm f/4
40mm, f/11, 1/125, ISO 250
4 image panorama w/ polarizer

D. Robert Franz
01-04-2008, 09:04 AM
Judd I love this image and it's one thats on my list to do. Great colors and cloulds and I like the comp. I know you have to work with the trees been on that hill. Congrats on this one....

Robert Amoruso
01-04-2008, 12:49 PM
I like this one a lot. When I opened it up and almost grab my sunglasses due to the vivid colors. Nice touch framing the pool with the two vertical trees. All around it works for my Judd.

David Kennedy
01-04-2008, 01:05 PM
How are you handling the polarizing filter--as you shift the position of the camera laterally--to avoid any "weirdness" frame to frame?

Hillebrand Breuker
01-04-2008, 02:28 PM
great view! I love the colors and the composition. The clouds add depth and you carefully framed the pool between the two trees. Nice job

Jason Hahn
01-05-2008, 11:07 AM
Wow, that is seriously blue :). Not much to add to what has been said, I think you did a great job working with the scene and finding a composition that turns potentially distracting elements into a functional part of the image

Jason

Paul Marcellini
01-05-2008, 02:44 PM
I understand working with what you have and see that you did a great job framing the spring but those trees still bug me. I think if I could see them rooted in or if you walked a step or 2 closer to get them out of the orange band it would help. Everything else in the scene is perfect though.

Paul

Steve Bein
01-05-2008, 08:08 PM
This is a great image. I am unsure how you managed to use the polarizer and not have differences in the sky. Your working on this to frame the pool between the trees works well also. The burnt trees would be better gone, but I realize that the BLm frowns on pruning vegetation, even burned, for photographic purposes. :)

David Kennedy
01-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Having been up on that hill, I would say that the trees are initially bothersome but one quickly adapts. Now, I look at an image such as Judd's and I see a good use of those trees as compositional anchors.

And Paul, trust me, you don't want to see them all the way to the ground :)

John Wilkerson
01-06-2008, 08:37 PM
I must say I agree with David. After a brief moment I don't even notice the trees. The colors seem to keep your eye from the burned trees. I most like the sky. The clouds add a lot to the image. A plain blue sky would be pretty but the puffy white clouds give me a good feeling.
Ive always wanted to visit Yellowstone.
Thanks