PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile Hawk

Scott Frye
01-23-2011, 07:32 PM
Shot on the road to Pine Island near Spring Hill, Florida

The yellow eye is fooling me -- my guide book lists juvenile Sharp-shinned and juvenile Coopers can have yellow eyes.

Thanks for your help in identifying this hawk

Scott Frye
01-23-2011, 07:40 PM
Thinking this front shot might help with id

Jeff Cashdollar
01-23-2011, 09:04 PM
I have done some preliminary research and believe it might be a Coopers. They have yellow eyes and the cere is yellow too. Notice the white undertail coverts are white - which is typical of that species.

The cere is a band of skin at the base of the bill, into which the nares (nostrils) opens. The cere is thought to protect the nares. It seems yellow to me - I could be wrong here - I will ask John to take a look as well.

Thanks for sharing and nice shot. Was this a large crop - what was the kit used .

Isaac Green
01-23-2011, 09:57 PM
I agree - juvi coopers. Legs are too heavy for a sharpie, and it shows the typical white with light streaks breast of a coop.

John Chardine
01-23-2011, 11:03 PM
Agree. Yellows eyes indicate a young bird. They turn orange, then red towards adulthood.

Paul Guris
01-24-2011, 10:18 AM
I agree with this being a juv. Cooper's Hawk. The fine streaking on the breast, peaked crown of the head, and eye forward look all fit Cooper's.

Kaustubh Deshpande
01-24-2011, 01:54 PM
Agree. does look like Coopers.

Richard Stern
01-25-2011, 08:35 AM
Hi,

Agree all the field marks already mentioned point to Coopers. In addition, the tail is long with 3 complete bands below the primary extension, and the central retrices are longer than the outer ones. (Not always a reliable field mark if the tail is worn or molting).

Richard