PDA

View Full Version : Wintergreen

Julie Kenward
01-22-2011, 03:44 PM
The short road that leads to the fountain is still covered in ice and snow so I had to give up for now and rely on an image from my own backyard.

Canon 40D, EF 100mm f/2.8 macro
f 10, 1/125th, ISO 400
Manual mode, pattern metering
Handheld, overcast light, fill flash
Processed in ACR & CS5: Cloned debris, slight curves adjustment, crop, sharpening

denise ippolito
01-22-2011, 08:40 PM
Wonderful processing Jules! I like the tight crop and colors. The leaf has a lot of interest to it. Well done.

Roman Kurywczak
01-22-2011, 10:26 PM
Hey Jules,
You should hang out in the backyard more often.......BP light screams black border.......even with that......this one just rocks for me!!!:cheers:

Kaushik Balakumar
01-23-2011, 05:05 AM
Loved the processing on this one - the way the details & textures are brought out. If it were mine, I would probably try tweaking the snow areas to remove the slight yellow/green cast. Would agree with Roman on black border.

Anita Bower
01-23-2011, 05:56 AM
Very nice! The color of the leaf, its details, the shape of the tear, the angle of the leaf in the frame all work perfectly to create a simple and effective winter image. I like the grayish color of the snow close to the leaf. The slight green tint doesn't bother me. I would like to see the amount of snow be the same on all four sides. As it is, there is more room on the left, which makes this centered image look a bit off. Great find in your own back yard!

subhrashis
01-23-2011, 09:53 AM
I llove the simple graphic composition here, and agree a black border would make for more comfortable viewing.

Can you try somthing- use S/H on the highlights to show more structure in the snow, I wonder how that would look.

Thanks for sharing! Where I live, snow is found mostly in freezers :p, so an exciting time here in the macro forum! :)

Julie Kenward
01-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I keep forgetting to put a border on my snow images...sorry!!!

Here is a redo with a black border, the snow desaturated to remove the tint and the snow's details brought out with a slight Topaz Adjust details layer. Thanks for all the helpful comments!

Anita, there's more room on the left than the right because there is more detail in the snow on that side and the bottom so I gave them a bit more room within the square frame. I see your point though...I may add some room back in.

Dave Leroy
01-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Lovely photo Jules and very well seen.

Border makes a nice improvement.

At first I thought I liked the bit of tint in the snow and now I don't know. Both work for me.

Steve Maxson
01-23-2011, 12:37 PM
Hi Jules. Nicely seen and photographed! I like the simple comp with the diagonal orientation of the leaf. The border is a nice touch and the "distressed" condition of the leaf fits well with the winter image. Well done.

Andrew McLachlan
01-23-2011, 06:55 PM
Love it Julie, I think the tear in the leaf adds lots of interest to this one. Nice details in the snow also.

Ken Childs
01-24-2011, 07:41 AM
Hey Jules, I like the grunge look you created so the OP appeals to me more than the repost does. The crop looks fine to me....the leaf is 'pointing' towards the left so having more space on that side feels right. :S3:

Allen Sparks
01-26-2011, 11:28 PM
Love the texture, contrast and colors. Just great!

Julie Kenward
01-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Thanks everyone...I appreciate all the help and comments. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite images from this winter as the greens just cheer me up!

kostas nianiopoulos
01-28-2011, 03:49 AM
nice winter image , i'll go the 2nd one as it has the border on , well done !!!