PDA

View Full Version : Bee with pollen

subhrashis
01-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Exams over, time for some images! It was really cool to see this bee packing the pollens on the "pollen basket" in it's hind legs through the viewfinder.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5206/5375618793_a2740d6489_b.jpg

D5000. 70-300 VR at 195mm with +3 achromat, f/11, 1/1000s, ISO 400, handheld.

denise ippolito
01-22-2011, 08:42 PM
Nice sharpness to the bee and I love seeing the pollen packed legs. Nice color and the exposure looks great! I love your sig!!:S3:

Roman Kurywczak
01-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Hey subhrashis,
For me personally, I would prefer a bit more DOF on the face of the bee. I am OK with the falloff on the body, but the face I would like to be fully sharp. If you are OK with such things.....I would consider removing or toning down the highlights just because at this magnification.....they are very prominant. On the comp side, I think you should also consider a crop off the bottom.....middle of the LR petal (scroll with the browser to check)......this helps me compositionally with the flow of the entire image. Just some suggestions for you to consider and keep in mind for the next time out now that exams are over!

subhrashis
01-23-2011, 12:29 AM
Thanks Denise and Roman!
It's clear I need lots more practice in macro, and varying the aperture with magnification is something that I need to learn. In retrospect, I could have stopped down more here. I'll try to tone the highlights down in this one. I am also experimenting with DIY diffusers, because, wherever I use flash (Not this one, but sun was harsh here), the highlights are really becoming disturbing.

The crop is improving the comp, I will update that in the repost. :)

Roman Kurywczak
01-23-2011, 12:48 AM
Thanks Denise and Roman!
It's clear I need lots more practice in macro, and varying the aperture with magnification is something that I need to learn. In retrospect, I could have stopped down more here. I'll try to tone the highlights down in this one. I am also experimenting with DIY diffusers, because, wherever I use flash (Not this one, but sun was harsh here), the highlights are really becoming disturbing.

The crop is improving the comp, I will update that in the repost. :)
Trust me subhrashis.....you are doing just fine! Any DIY reflcetive surface will work! Stainless steel pot lid (I use them) foil on a hard surface, white foamcore, glossy white paper (mounted on a hard board)......will all work! Her in the US....a 5 in one reflector......rather inexpensive will be one of your best macro investments!!! Just keep some of these things in mind when working subjects in the field!
PS Take the flash off hot shoe......makes a world of difference!

subhrashis
01-23-2011, 09:22 AM
Yes, I've just dissected a cheap constant output flash unit, connected it to the 'estranged' hot shoe by wire! I think it will work with my setup because of the constant working distance (~30 cm for me at any mag from 1/5x to 1.1x), i can calculate exposure by GN and aperture... :) Playing with it now to get a hang of it before taking it out! I'll also get a card and try the reflective diffusers.

Steve Maxson
01-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Hi Subhrashis. Overall, this is nicely done and you are clearly on the right track with your macro work. Roman does make some good suggestions for you to consider. Sharpness and DOF around the head are important and the image would be stronger with a little more DOF in that area such that the mandibles were sharp. :S3: Keep them coming!

Dave Leroy
01-23-2011, 12:35 PM
Very nicely done with the yellow.

Bee looks good to me as well although hard to beat more dof.

We still have a few months before the bees get going again.

Well done.

Ken Childs
01-24-2011, 07:34 AM
Hey Subbu, not much I can add....Roman has some good suggestions which should help with this edit and in the field. Keep the bug shots coming!

Allen Sparks
01-26-2011, 11:31 PM
Very well done. Agree with Roman on the DOF but this still works well for me.

kostas nianiopoulos
01-28-2011, 03:50 AM
well done image and the details are pretty good , i like all those yellows , and the pollen , well done !!!