PDA

View Full Version : Yellow-crowned Night-Heron at Estero Lagoon

Bob Pelkey
01-22-2011, 11:48 AM

Tripod used, full frame, auto sharpened, increased contrast.

I've written of my observation of this species' behavior also commenting on a new computer program that allows the viewing of EXIF data or not in a JPEG image here . . .
http://swfloridabirder.blogspot.com/2011/01/winter-wonderland-2011-estero-lagoon.html

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron at Estero Lagoon
Fort Myers Beach, Florida USA

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron at Estero Lagoon
Fort Myers Beach, Florida USA

Canon EOS-1D Mark III (http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/eos_1d_mark_iii) ,Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS USM (http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/ef_600_4is)
1/1250s f/4.0 at 600.0mm iso1250
<table align="center" border="1" cellpadding="1" width="450"><tbody><tr><td class="sb" colspan="2">Full EXIF Info</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Date/Time</td><td class="lid">18-Jan-2011 16:55:28</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Make</td><td class="lid">Canon</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Model</td><td class="lid">Canon EOS-1D Mark III</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Flash Used</td><td class="lid">No</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Focal Length</td><td class="lid">600 mm</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Exposure Time</td><td class="lid">1/1250 sec</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Aperture</td><td class="lid">f/4</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">ISO Equivalent</td><td class="lid">1250</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Exposure Bias</td><td class="lid">+1/3</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">White Balance</td><td class="lid">
</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Metering Mode</td><td class="lid">matrix (5)</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">JPEG Quality</td><td class="lid">
</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Exposure Program</td><td class="lid">aperture priority (3)</td></tr> <tr><td class="lid" nowrap="nowrap">Focus Distance</td><td class="lid">13.7 m</td></tr> </tbody></table>

Terry Olmsted
01-22-2011, 12:46 PM
Hi Bob,
Exciting to see. A nice sharp head-on image - tricky when the bird is moving toward the camera. I like the colors and the environmental background. I feel some of the adjacent background image could go - a little off the right and more off the left.
Terry

Todd Frost
01-22-2011, 01:31 PM
Nice head on pose Bob. Love the raised foot. Agree with Terry re: crop, for me this says vert. Well done.
TFS
Todd

Arthur Morris
01-22-2011, 06:18 PM
I am fine with the HORZ comp and the subject placement. I love the BKGR, seeing the two eyes, and the raised foot. The whole thing could go a bit brighter and the top of the head looks a bit muddy.

Stu Bowie
01-23-2011, 03:47 AM
Good head on capture Bob, and I like surrounding grasses of the BG, very colourful. The raised foot adds a nice touch. Maybe a little more room at the bottom.

Daniel Cadieux
01-23-2011, 10:34 AM
Interesting comp and it works well for me too. The raised foot is very cool. The image seems a little yellowish overall. Love the low angle and depicted habitat...:c3:

Jim Crosswell
01-23-2011, 07:49 PM
I like the eyes and raised foot. Well done!