PDA

View Full Version : Common Redpoll (male).

Daniel Cadieux
01-22-2011, 08:54 AM
I finally got to photograph some Common Redpolls last week. They were virtually absent last year, so it is a thrill to see them in good numbers this year. Usually when they irrupt south they just grow in numbers as the weeks go by, and at this particular location they've been doing just that. Crossing my fingers that a Hoary or two show up in a good photographer-friendly area, as a few of them have been reported locally.

I have a new monitor, and this image seems borderline oversharpened compared to when viewed on my older one...comments on that aspect are more than welcome:c3:.

Canon 40D + 100-400L @330mm, aperture priority, evaluative metering, 1/100s., f/6.3, ISO 800, +0.7 EC, natural light, handheld, about 85% FF (slight crop for comp).

Robert Amoruso
01-22-2011, 09:06 AM
I like the diagonal perch and how you framed it. The bird is nicely placed in the frame. A beautiful bird too.

Randy Stout
01-22-2011, 09:49 AM
Daniel:

Very good eye contact and eye detail,well exposed, snow on perch, wintery background.

I think the sharpening is OK, just on the verge of crunchy on my monitor, but OK. I usually err on the side of too little vs. too much, but this looks good.

Cheers

3 weeks to Florida :c3:

Terry Olmsted
01-22-2011, 11:49 AM
Daniel,
This is exciting to see! Wish we had the Redpolls here! I like your comp with the
diagonal branch, and the bit of snow really adds to the overall feeling of winter.
Wonderful colors. It does look just on the edge of being oversharpened on my monitor too.
Terry

Stu Bowie
01-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Dan, I like the hint of red in the plumage, together with the angled pose. Im with Randy on the sharpening - ok as is, but certain areas have 'crunchy bits' evident. Could be icicles.:w

Todd Frost
01-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Nice pose from the repoll. Techs look good, agree on borderline sharpness. If mine I would move bird a bit to the right in frame. Love the bg. Well done.
TFS
Todd

Bill Dix
01-22-2011, 04:22 PM
Beautiful colors. The muted bg accentuates the red on the bird. Ditto above comments, and your self-assessment, re sharpening - right on the edge. Redpolls have been reported in New Jersey recently, but I've yet to see one this year. I'd love a chance to capture something like this; I really like it.

Daniel Cadieux
01-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Thanks guys, especially for confirmaing my suspicions about the sharpening:c3:.

Bill, if you have a nyger seed feeder keep it well stocked...the redpolls love those and you may get lucky and some discover your offerings.

denise ippolito
01-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Daniel, I think the bird looks great and I think it is barely on the edge of being oversharpened. Nice image w/ a nice feel. The BG colors are very complimentary to the bird.

Craig Brelsford
01-23-2011, 10:20 AM
The photo isn't brittle to my eyes. As usual for you, Daniel, a clean BG, and that touch of snow tells us what we need to know about the season. I like but don't love the head angle. Are you sure it's a common and not an Arctic redpoll?

Jim Crosswell
01-23-2011, 07:52 PM
Great winter setting Daniel! I like the snowy perch and detail.

Juan Carlos Vindas
01-23-2011, 07:56 PM
Hola Daniel
It doesn't look over sharpened on my monitor. In fact looks perfect. Lovely species, good to hear that their numbers there are growing. I can get the feel of the snow and cold by seen the perch! :S3: