PDA

View Full Version : They will come back soon

Yves Matteau
03-19-2008, 10:16 AM
I am living in province of Quebec where the snow geese make a halt each spring for a pause to their annual trip toward the north. So, each time i have opportunities to take many pictures of thes beautiful birds. I took this one last spring during their migration. I exspect to make many more between the first two weeks of april and hope to do better now with counsels from pros of BPN forum.

Canon 20D
1/800
f/13
Iso 400
Lens 100-400 with 1.4 ext.@560 mm

Daniel Cadieux
03-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Hi Yves. How lucky of you to have these opportunities with Snow Geese each spring. There are few things you could improve in this image. Firstly, the light and its harshness here is not ideal. Better to have the sun behind you and at a lower angle (earlier in the moring, or later in the afternoon). Notice the contrasty effect - the lack of detail in the blacks, and the blown whites, the faces set in shadwows, and the all black "lifeless" eyes. All these points caused by the type of light you had.

Secondly, composition-wise, be careful of distracting elements in the frame such as the debris at top...and always be sure that the horizon is level (the water here is slanted downwards from left to right). You have the faces sepearated nicely, and it looks like you have good proximity with these individuals.

Beautiful subjects, and I can't wait to see what you will present us in the coming weeks!! :-)

Fabs Forns
03-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Good compo on a very difficult light angle. Head angle police would bust you :)