PDA

View Full Version : Pelican comfort

Brendan Dozier
01-21-2011, 08:19 PM
I can’t believe how comfortable this Brown Pelican looked on what looked like a very uncomfortable perch. But then, were dealing with pelicans, and they are a bit different!

The BG was mostly black, and I liked the change from the usual blue sky or sea, so brought the whole BG to black by cloning over light spot in URC and rock in LRC & bringing levels down. Cloned over some of typical pelican white wash on the rock and some highlights and shadow around wing. Standard PS adjustments and sharpening.

7D, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2.0x
1/1600
ISO 250

C & C welcome and appreciated,

- Brendan

dankearl
01-21-2011, 08:32 PM
I really like the black background, it sort of looks like a museum piece, not quite real and then, you see the eye! Well done (and a bit of luck with the BG, I think).

Brendan Dozier
01-21-2011, 08:43 PM
Yeah, it does sort of have a natural history museum look to it, but the BG was just about all shadow.

Pieter de Waal
01-22-2011, 02:43 AM
Very comfotrable looking bird. Pelican stands out nicely against that background and presents a very effective image. Love the detail and colours with great eye contact. I might consider a little more room top and right.

Tom Rambaut
01-22-2011, 04:36 AM
I realy like the colors of the Pelicans you have there. I like the black background.

Stu Bowie
01-22-2011, 08:54 AM
Super pose and HA, and the pelican sure does look comfy. Although you say the BG is shadow, did you darken it further? Maybe a touch of selective sharpening on the head and bill.

Robert Amoruso
01-22-2011, 09:19 AM
Brendan, I really like this black BG. I would agree with he suggestion more in front (but not top) to move him off-center more though as presented I like it just fine.

Some more sharpening looks in order.

Todd Frost
01-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Good suggestions above. Love the bg for this fine portrait. Colors are great with good exposure. Well done.
TFS
Todd

Arthur Morris
01-22-2011, 06:32 PM
Love the BLACK BKGR. Nice bird and pose. Looks comfy to me.

Where did you create this one?

Brendan Dozier
01-23-2011, 12:47 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. Yes the BG was mostly all dark shadow to begin with, so with some cloning and levels, brought it to full black all around.
I will repost soon, but tired, as I just got back from the Anza Borego Dessert.

Art, I shot this on Monday at La Jolla at 8:40am, was the first one there before 6am!, as I did not know what the pelican patterns would be. I felt a bit silly, as it took quite a while before they arrived that day. And, I have to confess, I thought I might "accidentally bump into you" and get a chance to watch you shoot some, because I knew you were in town for the sold out IPT! :t3 About six other photographers showed up as well, maybe some of your IPT students taking some warm-up shots.

Thanks Brendan, Only weekday morning that I missed there.... I had an appointment up in Santa Ana. Sorry that we did not get to meet. The IPT went very well.

James Salywoda
01-23-2011, 05:03 PM
Fantastic! I really how the pelican stands out from that bg well done Brendan.

Brendan Dozier
01-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Here's the repost with some addtional sharpening around head and bill, and added canvas to front. Thanks again for your feedback.