PDA

View Full Version : harbor seal

Jared Lloyd
03-19-2008, 10:08 AM
This guy must of thought I was the goofiest looking seal he had ever seen. This photograph was taken on Carova Beach, North Carolina last week. Specs: Nikon D300, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8, 1/250, f/11, +1.33, ISO 200, Adobe RGB

Fabs Forns
03-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Jared, this is hilarious, he seems to be having a good laugh at you :)
It may need a slight rotation.

Robert O'Toole
03-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Love the expression and the blue background is great.

I see some a problem with the hotspots in the animals fur. You could try a multiplied layer, this might help add some detail.

Robert

Jared Lloyd
03-19-2008, 09:00 PM
hot spots? I havnt calibrated my monitor in a quite a while, I dont see any blown out areas from my end. One problem that I have had though is the blue fringe around the neck and chest. For some reason every shot had this - some a lot worse than others. Any ideas on that?

Robert O'Toole
03-19-2008, 09:18 PM
hot spots? I havnt calibrated my monitor in a quite a while, I dont see any blown out areas from my end. ?

Take a look at the bottom of any page on PBN and you will see the monitor strip. Can you see each square edge clearly, including the last white and the last black? I can easily on my monitor.

The hot areas are not totally blown out just hot, the areas are much brighter than the rest of the coat and they dont have any detail. Hot spots normally lead you eye and can be distracting. i would say at least one stop over.

Just trying to help.

One problem that I have had though is the blue fringe around the neck and chest. For some reason every shot had this - some a lot worse than others. Any ideas on that?

Usually blue or purple is CA, especially on a large F2.8 zoom, I would never expect to see it at F11. If it is in the highlight areas its color blooming or maybe lateral color fringing.

Robert

Steve Canuel
03-20-2008, 12:44 AM
Jared,
When you talk to the wildlife you're photographing you're supposed to give them suggestions for poses and BG comps, not tell jokes. I like the BG, wish for a bit more room in front.
Steve

Vincent Grafhorst
03-20-2008, 02:01 AM
What a fantastic facial expression you have captured here Jared! I would have loved to see this as a closer portrait. The composition as presented with its body cut off where its is doesn't work IMO.

Jared Lloyd
03-20-2008, 12:11 PM
thanks for the help and critiques everyone.

D. Robert Franz
03-21-2008, 08:12 AM
Nice compostion and interesting (funny) look on the seal. Brightness issues covered above.