PDA

View Full Version : Dreamy Seascape

Richard Lovison
01-21-2011, 01:48 PM
I don't know if this is strong enough to pull off with its simplicity. This image was taken about 90 degrees to the left of the sun rising at Coast Guard Beach. I found that some beautiful, subtle colors were found in directions away from the sunrise.

Equipment Used:

Olympus E-3
Digital Zuiko 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 @ 200mm
1.6 sec @ f6.3
ISO 100
5300K WB
RAW
tripod

Post Processing:

RAW pre-sharpener applied, contrast increased, tonal contrast added to sky, slightly cropped top and bottom, output sharpening applied.

copyright reserved 2010-2011, Richard Lovison

Roman Kurywczak
01-21-2011, 02:51 PM
Hey Richard,
I think this one works better than all the other posts! Why? Well yes.....there really is no focal point.....but this one is more about the subtleness of colors and the soft feel and look. You can break rules but many more things need to come together to be effective.....as they did in this one! I would remove the bouy? in the water around 4:30.......and you can consider perhaps doing a surface blur (Jules favorite trick) on the water......to soften the look and feel even more......just some ideas to toy with but this is my favorite of the series!

Robert Amoruso
01-22-2011, 07:17 AM
Richard,

Glad you found that the colors away from the sunrise are many times better then the sunrise. And if 180 degs. is picturesque too, don't forget to turn around. I like the surface blur idea. I use that too.

Dave Mills
01-22-2011, 10:53 AM
Roman gave some good suggestion above. The pastel look is quite pleasing...

Kaushik Balakumar
01-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Very minimalistic and very appealing image Richard. The soft/subtle colours make this image work. Might clone out the surfer/boat in the image. IMHO, such images work better if the water was smoothened out with long exposure providing a surreal feel.

Richard Lovison
01-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and comments. It is much appreciated. :)

Richard

Andrew McLachlan
01-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Hi Richard, love the pastel colors here and the simplicity of the scene. Agree with Robert's comments on better colors often away from the sun at sunrise.

Richard Lovison
01-30-2011, 11:25 AM
Hey Richard,
I think this one works better than all the other posts! Why? Well yes.....there really is no focal point.....but this one is more about the subtleness of colors and the soft feel and look. You can break rules but many more things need to come together to be effective.....as they did in this one! I would remove the bouy? in the water around 4:30.......and you can consider perhaps doing a surface blur (Jules favorite trick) on the water......to soften the look and feel even more......just some ideas to toy with but this is my favorite of the series!

Roman,

I did what you suggested... I now like the softer feel to the water. I removed the buoy though I kind of miss it in a strange way. :S3:

copyright © reserved 2010-2011, Richard Lovison