PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Breaks

Roman Kurywczak
01-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Cedar Breaks isn't visited very often. It is tucked in between Zion and Bryce and quite a bit out of the way of both! Acess is also not as friendly with trails as Bryce is.....so people don't often go there as it is quite a bit different to photograph than the other iconic locations. I have been scouting Cedar Breaks for a while now and have a new project I am working on for there......here is a landscape from this past trip as the sun was about to set......notice the lens I used and that will give you an idea of one of the challenges faced there!
Canon 1D Mark lll and the !00-400mm lens with the 1.4 tele on @250mm and f10 for 1/100 sec. at ISO 500 all tripod mounted and locked down. Saved at 51 quality

Richard Lovison
01-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Roman,

Wow! That image just pops off the page with drama. Beautifully done. If it were mine I might try and squeak a little more detail into the very top of the image. Gorgeous.

I'm confused... why would you use a 1.4 tele-converter on a 400mm lens if you only shot at 250mm x 1.4 or 350mm?

Richard

Roman Kurywczak
01-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Roman,

Wow! That image just pops off the page with drama. Beautifully done. If it were mine I might try and squeak a little more detail into the very top of the image. Gorgeous.

I'm confused... why would you use a 1.4 tele-converter on a 400mm lens if you only shot at 250mm x 1.4 or 350mm?

Richard
Good catch! I was actually shooting much tighter on this formation.....pulled back to this view. It was very windy so didn't want to remove the TC and then have to recompose.

Gary Hamilton
01-21-2011, 04:06 PM
Gorgeous image, Roman. The different tones of red, rust and yellow are just dazzling, the shadows add so much depth and the light on the trees at the top is the icing on the cake. Agree that a bit more space at the top might help but that is a very minor issue. Great job of scouting this one out. I hope you have a lot more images from Cedar Breaks to share with us.
:cheers::cheers::cheers:

dankearl
01-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Very well done, a great part of the country and it is overlooked for Bryce near by.
A very nice time of day, an interesting use of long range for Landscapes.
You don't see many over 200mm, but the air is so clear in So. Utah, you can get away with it and you did.

Robert Amoruso
01-22-2011, 08:54 AM
I have visited Cedar Breaks many times when I photographed in the SW. A nice respite from the other, busier locations.

I like the high contrast look to the image. Surprised you did not try HDR, or perhaps you did and have not posted it.

Nick Palmieri
01-22-2011, 10:06 AM
I really like the light, the shadows and the contrast in this image. It has a different feel to it...very nice.

Dave Mills
01-22-2011, 10:51 AM
The key ingredient being beautiful light along with an interesting comp. The dark area on top acts as a frame and I like the lack of detail towards the top rear however there is good detail where it needs to be in the balance of the image. Well handled...

Kaushik Balakumar
01-22-2011, 03:09 PM
Gorgeous warm light. Neatly exposed frame with good details in the shadows amongst the folds.
This image along with the lens description shows the grandiose of the place. Very different image.

Andrew McLachlan
01-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Very nicely done Roman! Love the colors, the light and the trees along the top ridge. Beautiful! :5

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
01-23-2011, 07:36 PM
Very nice Roman something maybe I will check out next year

Todd Frost
01-23-2011, 10:18 PM
Sweet light and colors Roman. Nice comp. A place worth venturing to for sure. Well done.
TFS
Todd

Bill Randall
01-24-2011, 09:48 AM
The light says it all. I've stood close to the same spot, but never got the light you have here. Beautiful.

Jason Hurst
07-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Gorgeous photograph.

Stupid question...what do you mean by "Saved at 51 percent?" Does that mean it's roughly half the original size?

Thanks.

Roman Kurywczak
07-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Hey Jason,
no stupid questions.....in photoshop when you hit save for the web.....you get a slider from 1-100.......you can move that slider to get it under the 200KB limit for bpn....so I had to go down to 51 quality to make it fit. That is mostly because landscapes have much more detail and we get more jpeg compression in them. That is why it is often difficult to judge landcape jpegs here.....they often have to be saved at such low quality.....that sharpness and artifacting can become an issue. Make sense?

Jason Hurst
07-20-2011, 08:03 PM
It makes very much sense. Thanks Roman.

So I shouldn't be worried about the quality of files, esp landscape files from the 1D Mk III...esp if I wish to possibly sell them.

Roman Kurywczak
07-20-2011, 08:08 PM
It makes very much sense. Thanks Roman.

So I shouldn't be worried about the quality of files, esp landscape files from the 1D Mk III...esp if I wish to possibly sell them.
I wouldn't worry about the Mark lll at all! It has large files.....remember....we only have ot downsize for BPN limitations. I have made 20x30 prints no problem from the mark 3. I don't do larger.....so can't vouch for that.

Jason Hurst
07-20-2011, 08:12 PM
Awesome! Thanks again Roman!

I absolutely love the look of files from the 1D Mk III.