PDA

View Full Version : Flight of fancy

saleeltambe
01-20-2011, 08:16 AM
I recently visited India and fully enjoyed being in Assam.This pair of Geese was photographed from a rocking boat at a waterbody. I asked the boatman to hide the boat amidst the thick aquatic vegetation near the edge of the water. The geese landed on their usual spot that I was anticipating.
Wish I could get more space on the left but the already parked boat was a big constraint for me as I could not move / zoom out with a fixed focal length.
However I tried not to get the wings cut on the right hand side - hence a bit of tight space on the left side of the image.

Techs-
Canon 7D, 500mm+1.4x, beanbag, ISO 400, 1/1600, f 8, +1/3, spot metering, very minimal blurring / Noise reduction done on the background.

Randy Stout
01-20-2011, 09:13 AM
The symmetry is great here, like that the closer birds head doesn't merge with the wing of the other bird.
Pretty good DOF here, so well done with f/8

Agree about room to the left. You could add a bit of canvas if desired.

Overall exposure looks good. Perhaps a little warm on the whites on the rump, but my work monitor won't allow really critical calls on that point.

Cheers

Randy

Kiran Poonacha
01-20-2011, 01:08 PM
Nice DOF Saleel Bhai.. loved the pose to..

Pieter de Waal
01-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Wow Saleel, great timing for a nice image, dof mentioned and love the landing pose. Well done.

Terry Olmsted
01-20-2011, 03:10 PM
Beautifully timed, Saleel! I love the symmetry. Great job!

Todd Frost
01-20-2011, 03:33 PM
As mentioned by Randy the symmetry is outstanding. Agree with more room in front of geese. Very well done.
TFS
Todd

Alan Lillich
01-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Great planning and execution. Could you have taken a separate shot to the left after the birds landed and stitched it in?

Brendan Dozier
01-20-2011, 08:14 PM
Awesome capture and great timing with challenges. Great detail, love their expressions, and symmetry of poses. As Randy mentioned, you can always add some canvas on left. Nice work!

Jonathan Ashton
01-21-2011, 10:25 AM
Great shot, agree a little more canvas to the left and I think the white patches are just a little hot.