Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 400
Lens EF500mm f/4L IS USM
Flash Off
White Balance Mode Auto
AF Mode AI Servo AF
AF area select mode Zone AF
Picture Style Standard

These herons were dancing over the shallow waters as they were fishing, it was really entertaining to watch and photograph them.
All c& C welcome.

Randy Stout
01-20-2011, 08:58 AM
Jonathan:

The behaviour and appearance of this one really makes me think of our reddish egrets.
He looks sharp.

The concern for me is the light angle, which appears to be well off to the left and a bit behind the bird, casting the face into shadow.

Do you have any frames where the head is turned more to his right, so the face is more evenly illuminated?

Cheers

Randy

Jonathan Ashton
01-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Jonathan:

The behaviour and appearance of this one really makes me think of our reddish egrets.
He looks sharp.

The concern for me is the light angle, which appears to be well off to the left and a bit behind the bird, casting the face into shadow.

Do you have any frames where the head is turned more to his right, so the face is more evenly illuminated?

Cheers

Randy

How about this one?

Randy Stout
01-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Ok Jon:

I like the unusual pose in the first, and the illumination of the head in the second, so a little photoshop work should give the best of both!

Cheers

Randy

Todd Frost
01-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Very different pose on this Jonathan, looks like one of our running backs. Agree with the light angle not being optimal.
TFS
Todd

Brendan Dozier
01-20-2011, 07:58 PM
Nice action, and interesting behavior shot. Looks like its walking on water! Agree the angle is not optimal, but wondering if you can lighten up the dark areas just a bit too bring out more detail.

Jonathan Ashton
01-21-2011, 03:35 AM
Nice action, and interesting behavior shot. Looks like its walking on water! Agree the angle is not optimal, but wondering if you can lighten up the dark areas just a bit too bring out more detail.

I agree the head is a little dark but I did make a mask and increase levels before posting. i think if I go much further there it will start looking obvious.

Randy Stout
01-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Jon:

I agree about trying to avoid too much lightening. If it looks obvious, you aren't doing the image any good. When I work on something like this, I make my changes, put the image aside for a while, and come back to look at it again. If it passes the second perusal, I will go with it, but often it looks too obvious on the second look, and I will do something different.

Cheers

Randy

Ben_Sadd
01-21-2011, 09:06 AM
Interesting behaviour.

I guess you have been traveling? Last time i checked there were no African Reef Herons on the Wirral. Would be good to hear about any travels and experiences as I am always looking for new places to go from Europe.

With the OP I would like a little more space below with the bird moved up in the frame.

Jonathan Ashton
01-21-2011, 10:31 AM
"Would be good to hear about any travels and experiences as I am always looking for new places to go from Europe".

Ben the recent submissions (except the very latest) in birds & macro were taken in The Gambia. I have just written an article for a professional photography magazine, once it is proofed I will let you have a copy if you wish.

Ben_Sadd
01-21-2011, 11:47 AM
Ben the recent submissions (except the very latest) in birds & macro were taken in The Gambia. I have just written an article for a professional photography magazine, once it is proofed I will let you have a copy if you wish.

That would be great. The recent African stuff has been really nice, although I still like your garden setup work too.

Jonathan Ashton
01-22-2011, 04:46 AM
That would be great. The recent African stuff has been really nice, although I still like your garden setup work too.

I also wrote an article on garden photography too I will send that as well.