PDA

View Full Version : Mrs. Bufflehead

Mikko Viljamaa
01-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Few remain open waters here are getting smaller and more glacial. Good for bird photographers but bad for birds. This was taken couple of weeks ago. If I would have tried to go any lower, I would have ended up swimming with Mrs. Bufflehead... :D

Cheers,

Mikko

EOS 1DMK3
500mm 4.0L + 1.4 II TC
On Tripod
Av Mode
Evaluative metering + 0
ISO 400
f/6.3
1/3200

John Guastella
01-19-2011, 07:09 PM
You got plenty low on this shot, Mikko. Techs look great, expecially the exposure which I usually find challenging on a bird with white patches on mostly dark plumage. I like the foamy water, too...

There seems to be a second catchlight which, if it were mine, I would clone out.

I lived in Madison for a number of years, and it was definitely too "glacial" for me!

John

Nancy Bell
01-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Wonderful detail and exposure on this duck. I really like the wave in front of her breast that dips along her side and trails along her tail.

Duane Noblick
01-19-2011, 07:41 PM
Love the colors of the head and great shooting angle.

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
01-19-2011, 10:28 PM
Very good exposure with nice details in the black, love the sharpness and the low angle too. I too love the wave into front of the bird and a hint of brown color reflection on the wave, I also like the texture of the water too. Just wish the double catch light wasn't there.

Todd Frost
01-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Well done Mikko. Are you a Fin by any chance? Love the comp and very good exposure. Water does look thick. Nice sharpness and shooting angle.
TFS
Todd

Mikko Viljamaa
01-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll remove the second catchlight as proposed. And yes Todd, I was born and raised in Finland where land is harsh and people are simple... :D

Mikko

Todd Frost
01-23-2011, 10:11 PM
I thought the name might be Finnish. My mother is Finnish (last name Hepola) although she was raised in Minnesota. A place I would love to see.

Todd