PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Dancer

Kenn Christensen
01-03-2008, 11:05 PM
macro isnt my strong suit.. by a long ways.... Im a bit too impatient to use good technique... and my timing sucks... I shot this little guy near lake superior near mid day on a windy day.. it was handheld... considering all those problems.. it doesnt entirely suck.... but man... I know I can do better.... I just have to DO it... lol
hand held...
100mm f2.8
1d Mk III

Fabs Forns
01-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Hi Kenn,

Love the idea and detail, only nit is the harsh light, but you already know that :)

Not bad for a bird photographer ;)

Alfred Forns
01-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Not bad Kenn I think the biggest improvement would be softer light During midday I like using diffuser Makes all the difference in the world

You have a good composition Isolated the subject well and good point of focus I like it

Kenn Christensen
01-04-2008, 11:26 AM
thanks guys!.... and yah.. that pretty much sums it up.. not bad for a bird photographer.... I have a difuser.. but of course I didnt bring it... it was a dead time for birds too... but all these lil orange butterflies where around... I just have to work a bit harder at setup... harshlight? no problem.. diffuse it.. its the whole tripod thing that defuses me thought.. by the time Ive set it up close enough for the 100 the prey has flown .... I really need a good 200 or 300 prime for this.. and just dont have one... sigh.. $$$

Chris Starbuck
01-06-2008, 05:45 PM
The composition, focus, and DOF are all great! Fill flash with a diffuser on the flash and FE comp at -1 to -2 will do a lot to soften the contrast even at noon. Monopods are ideal for chasing butterflies -- leave the head just a little loose so you can move freely, but still get the added stability, and there's near-zero setup time. I usually find myself in the field with my tripod, and just extend one leg to use it as a mono.