PDA

View Full Version : Wimberley accessories?

Allen Hirsch
01-17-2011, 11:01 PM
I'm getting ready to buy a Wimberley II gimbal, so I can use my longer lens for BIF.

I have a 4.75" plate already on the lens foot of my 500L; I note that the plate recommended at the Wimberley site is 5.875" long.

Do I need that extra inch+ for anything? Easier to balance? For a flash bracket? Or am I fine with the footplate I have?

I also think I need the brass reducer bushing (really to go bigger to 3/8" instead of the 1/4" screwhead I have on the top of my tripod) - is that correct?

Thanks.

Chris Klapheke
01-17-2011, 11:14 PM
Hi Alan

Your 4.75" plate will work fine with the Wimberley. Longer plates do give you more room to balance, depending on the camera body you are using, and if you are using a teleconverter. You may want to try it out first, then get a longer plate if you need more room to balance. You could also consider a 4th Generation replacement foot[/URL], as it gives you a lower center of gravity and saves both packing room and weight.

The recommended flash bracket for the Wimberley II is the F-9, and it attaches directly to the Wimberley Head, so you do not need a longer plate for it.

Yes, you will need a reducer bushing, as the mounting socket on the Wimberley Head is 3/8".

Make sure your tripod can handle the extra weight of the Wimberley and your 500L.

Hope this helps!

Chris

Bob Ettinger
01-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Chris beat me to it. Follow his advice

Bob

Allen Hirsch
01-19-2011, 06:27 PM
Thanks, Chris & Bob.

I have two tripods.

The Manfrotto 055XPROB has a 14 lb capacity, but feels sturdier with big glass (probably b/c it's steel and only two extending leg sections) than my higher-capacity Benro carbon TRCB269 (24 lbs).

I may try the Wimberley on both before deciding which to leave it attached to.