PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Ranch YNP

Todd Frost
01-17-2011, 10:54 PM
Spend most of my time in wildlife an avian but thought I would stop in. Captured this during a spring snowstorm a while back.
D200, 28-105 @28, 1/180, f8, iso500.
Thanks for looking, comments and critiques appreciated.
Todd

Tim Munsey
01-18-2011, 03:10 AM
I like the look of this, it has an old photograph appearance, the fine detail really appeals. I think the composition could have been stronger.

Tim

Kaushik Balakumar
01-18-2011, 04:51 AM
Liked the antique kind of treatment on this image. Simple and neatly composed. Might be tempted to crop off a bit from the right but then it would mean losing some of those curving fence.

Richard Lovison
01-18-2011, 08:24 AM
Todd,

I also like the old photograph look. The composition doesn't bother me though I also might be tempted to crop from the right. What bothers me more are the dark clumps in the sky area that I would clone out if the image were mine. Nicely done.

Richard

Dave Mills
01-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Hi Todd, The sepia tone generally helps to age an image and is having that effect here.
A few things...first the image appears a bit flat. Would like to see more contrast in order to give the image some dimension.
The composition is very ambitious where you tried to include everything but it has become very busy.
An interesting comp I can see would have been isolating the building on the far rt and using the tree as an anchor on the left and including the balance of the fence on it's rt. Would have moved a bit to the rt to shoot it.
Finally, I see alot of "stuff" in the sky. Not sure if they are dust on the sensor or something else but I would exclude them...

jack williamson
01-18-2011, 11:44 AM
Hello Todd, much more experienced people than me have commented and I have to critique by how I feel

when I first look at an image. I like every bit of this, the very subtle colors, barely seeing the hills in the left

bg, and the comp all look good to me. I would expect the stuff in the sky is snow.

Todd Frost
01-18-2011, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Not alot of options for this location compwise. Just liked the look of it when I came upon it. Very gray with heavy wet snow coming down (dark clumps mentioned).
Todd

Roman Kurywczak
01-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Hey Todd,
Sometimes it pays to be late to the party! I will confess that I am not the biggest fan of the antique and soft look.....that being said....it is a personal choice so like Dave I would at least like more contrast and a bigger tonal range......but like Jack and others.....this look does have a wide appeal.
Comp wise.....perhaps a bit cluttered, but I do like where you placed the elements in the scene and only suggestion is an agreement on removing the tree on the right. I see your explanation that it was snow.....but does look like sensor dust bunnies.....so another vote for smoothing them out.....although with added contrast they may look different.....so would save that step for last.
Remember.....these are just some thought for you to consider as it is always nice to see the Avain guys pop in!:D

Robert Amoruso
01-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Todd, I agree with tree on right removal,sky stuff removed and try a bit more contrast.

I like the composition, it makes my eye span the horizon, drinking in the details of the buildings and trees.