PDA

View Full Version : Haystack Rock, Cannon Beach, Oregon

dankearl
01-17-2011, 10:19 PM
http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af332/dkearl/DSC_1104-1.jpg

Dave Mills
01-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Hi, please include the shooting specs which would help us better analyze your image.
Compositionally the image appears well handled. The rock placement is offset with the water bubbles
coming from the corner and acting as a leading line. The cloud frames the image nicely and adds a sense of drama.
There appears to be vignetting(probably from a filter) which is noticeable on the top corners. I would take them out.
Another idea would be to crop a small bit off the left.(up to the 1st distant stick-3/8" in)
Overall nicely done!

Andrew McLachlan
01-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Hi Dan, agree with Dave's comments. Looks like you used a polarizer on a very wide angle lens and got some vignetting and a darker area of sky in the center. Sometimes I will use a grad filter instead of a polarizer to get an even amount of darkening in the sky. Looks like a very nice location. Well done!

Nick Palmieri
01-18-2011, 06:23 PM
Nice place and I think you really saw a nice scene here. I'm thinking a pano crop with something off the left side would strengthen the composition. I wish we could see more detail in the rock (or just a complete silhouette). It looks to me like you used a polarizer and a lens hood which may have caused some of those shadows. Thanks for sharing and keep them coming...

dankearl
01-18-2011, 07:58 PM
I am sorry I forgot to include the info.

Nikon D7000
Nikkor 10-24 lens @ 10mm
Manual settings
1/25 @ f8
iso 100
pattern metering
w/ a circular polarizer
Tripod used
Taken a 7:30 or so AM so the rock was in silhouette.

Roman Kurywczak
01-21-2011, 11:04 AM
Hey Dan,
A little late but here goes....first....Welcome to the forum! I think you thought out the comp nicely and while I am a fan of silhouettes.....I think you needed a bit more dramatic light to pull the scene off. An HDR or exposure blend were viable options and as Andrew mentioned.....the split ND would have lightened up the FG to brign up the detail in the foam line....since the rock face was already silhouetted. You have to pay special attention to the whites to keep them from blowing out.....and then either use filters or exposure blend techniques like HDR to bring this to its full potential. If possible.....try this scene a bit earlier even.....when the light is at it's lowest......it will further accentualte the ripples and such in the FG......and usually keep the clouds a bit tamer. Not a huge window usually. Hope this gives you some good ideas to try out next time out.