PDA

View Full Version : Winter - GBH Hunkered Down

Terry Olmsted
01-17-2011, 06:48 PM
Taken yesterday (Jan 17) during a rainy, windy, dark day. The Great Blues congregate in a marsh near the waterfront - and were unusually close. I like this guy's expression - he says it all. Frazzled with the dark wet days in the Puget Sound region :)

Canon 40D 400 5.6L 1/320s f5.6 ISO 640 AE partial metering ec 0 no fill hand held

Randy Stout
01-17-2011, 07:13 PM
Terry:

GBHs can look very grumpy, like this guy!

The grasses make for a bit of a busy background, but the contrast with the bird still makes him standout well.

Would prefer to see the feet, or at least have room for the virtual feet, if available.

Sharp, well exposed except for maybe a little hot on the whites on the crown.

Cheers

Randy

Terry Olmsted
01-17-2011, 07:21 PM
Thanks, Randy! Since his feet were obscured in the grass, I decided to emphasize his expression. I agree on the white at his crown. I'll tone it down. Thanks again!
Terry

Randy Stout
01-17-2011, 08:00 PM
Terry:

I think the situation with his feet is similar to a wading bird in the water. Our brains still want enough room below for the virtual feet.

I do agree that by cropping as you did, it does make the face larger, and his grumpiness more evident!

Cheers

Randy

Caroline Darmo
01-17-2011, 08:37 PM
Terry,

I like the crop it emphasizes the breast feathers, would like a bit more details on the crown, the whites look slightly hot and maybe sharpen the eye a touch more. Still a very original capture, love the image.

Todd Frost
01-17-2011, 09:54 PM
Well exposed (whites noted) Terry and nice and sharp. Agree with Randy, it would be nice to have room below. Don't mind the bg as thats what we live with out here. Well done.
TFS
Todd

Terry Olmsted
01-17-2011, 10:21 PM
OK, Randy and Todd, you convinced me - I went back to the drawing board. Here's the birds full view :) with the toned down white crown. Now, I agree with you.
Thanks for all the help!
Terry

Terry Olmsted
01-17-2011, 10:23 PM
Thanks, also, to you Caroline! I appreciate your comments!
Terry

Todd Frost
01-17-2011, 10:58 PM
Re-post is better Terry, glad to see you like it. That is the important part as you are the artist on this one :)
Todd

Terry Olmsted
01-17-2011, 11:17 PM
Thanks a bunch, Todd!
Terry