PDA

View Full Version : Mallard and Lady

Alan Lillich
01-17-2011, 02:17 PM
There was some nice color on the water this morning at the San Joaquin refuge. No processing other than crop and minor sharpening. The sharpness won't hold up to close inspection. I'm not entirely happy with the crop but can't decide how to improve it. There is a bit more room all around.

D300, Sigma 300-800 @ 650, ISO 400, 1/1250, f/8

Julie Kenward
01-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Alan, very nicely captured! I think your crop is a pretty good choice - you've got both ducks in the frame, the reflection has room at the bottom, you've got more room in the front. I don't see that it's all that bad, really.

I do think you are a bit underexposed, though. Open up a levels adjustment, and move the white slider to 195 and the midtones to 1.10 and see what you think. It opens up the whites on the duck and the water a bit more.

Nice detail and good choice of DOF.

denise ippolito
01-18-2011, 10:34 PM
Alan, I like the juxtaposition of the two ducks and the crop seems fine. I would prefer it w/ a little more on top if it were mine. Very nice water color and I like the head turn on the drake. Maybe a tiny bit more selective sharpening to the head of the drake. Nicely done.

Alan Lillich
01-19-2011, 10:17 PM
Thanks Julie & Denise. I'll repost with your suggestions when we get back from San Diego next week.