PDA

View Full Version : It was a bittern kind of day at Viera

Nancy A Elwood
03-18-2008, 10:16 PM
Harry and I were out at Viera today and we had, at one time, three least bitterns, out in the open, to decide to take images of. AWESOME afternoon:D:D I think I took 150 images of them with fish and without, on one reed and on two and of course with their head in the water, so more to come.:) All taken with my D300 and 500 f4 with 1.4TC. iso800, f8, ec -1.0, 1/800.

http://pnelwood.phanfare.com/show/external/546101/766216/38399698/file.jpg

Wayne Nicholas
03-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Very nice, Nancy. I must say I'm jealous.

Nancy A Elwood
03-18-2008, 10:29 PM
Very nice, Nancy. I must say I'm jealous.

Wayne thanks!:) I wish you could of been there. It was incredible, especially since they stayed out for a number of hours.

Kirk Benson
03-18-2008, 11:40 PM
Hi Nancy,

Love the pose you captured here. Great color, exposure, and sharp detail. Very well done.
I'm a D70 owner lusting and saving for a D300 ;-) Do you love it?

Maxis Gamez
03-19-2008, 05:44 AM
Gorgeous Nancy. Very nice composition and details.

Del Cockroft
03-19-2008, 06:05 AM
Terrific image!! Can't wait to see more. I love the colours.

Nancy A Elwood
03-19-2008, 08:47 AM
Hi Nancy,

Love the pose you captured here. Great color, exposure, and sharp detail. Very well done.
I'm a D70 owner lusting and saving for a D300 ;-) Do you love it?

Kirk thanks!:) The D300 is an amazing camera!!!

Nancy A Elwood
03-19-2008, 08:48 AM
Gorgeous Nancy. Very nice composition and details.

Thanks so much Maxis!:) It was a thrill getting the different poses from these guys!

Nancy A Elwood
03-19-2008, 08:49 AM
Terrific image!! Can't wait to see more. I love the colours.

Thanks so much Del! The light was so right also, which really made it!

john crookes
03-19-2008, 09:05 AM
I love the colors and the enviorment there is one reflection that is weird in front of the bittern it almost looks like a hand with a ring on a finger

also a claw or something just below that

and the bitterns foot has a double claw but no apparent ripple in the water

weird'

but lovely

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
03-19-2008, 09:17 AM
Nancy,
I was at Viera yesterday afternoon and alson shot this same bird (see attached image). However my wife and I thought it was a Green-backed Heron. I sent the attached image to several of my birder friends and they to thought it was a Greeened-backed Heron as opposed to a Least Bittern. I actually hope your ID is correct as I have never seen a Least before. A week ago I photographed a American Bittern in almost the same location. So who knows? Hope other will give us an opinion.

Nancy A Elwood
03-19-2008, 09:23 AM
I love the colors and the enviorment there is one reflection that is weird in front of the bittern it almost looks like a hand with a ring on a finger

also a claw or something just below that

and the bitterns foot has a double claw but no apparent ripple in the water

weird'

but lovely

thanks John:)

Nancy A Elwood
03-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Nancy,
I was at Viera yesterday afternoon and alson shot this same bird (see attached image). However my wife and I thought it was a Green-backed Heron. I sent the attached image to several of my birder friends and they to thought it was a Greeened-backed Heron as opposed to a Least Bittern. I actually hope your ID is correct as I have never seen a Least before. A week ago I photographed a American Bittern in almost the same location. So who knows? Hope other will give us an opinion.

The image i put up is definitely a least bittern. The one you put up is a green heron for sure. The least bittern is smaller and the colors are different. There were great opportunities yesterday for sure!! I have images of the green heron also that was just down the way from the least bitterns.

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
03-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Nancy
You are absolutely correct, yours is a Least Bittern. I stand corrected. I must have missed them. So I am going back this afternoon and see if they might still be there, however I doubt it. I'll let you know either way.
Mac

Raymond Barlow
03-19-2008, 08:37 PM
sweet!!! killer pose, and wonderful natural surroundings, great shot.

Nancy A Elwood
03-19-2008, 08:51 PM
sweet!!! killer pose, and wonderful natural surroundings, great shot.

Thank you Raymond!:) It was one of those afternoons where everything came together.

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
03-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Nancy
Went back to Viera and found that the bittern was still there. I think I shot 150 images or so, none were as good as years. Attached is my best,but certainly not as good as yours,
Mac

Nancy A Elwood
03-20-2008, 02:15 AM
Nancy
Went back to Viera and found that the bittern was still there. I think I shot 150 images or so, none were as good as years. Attached is my best,but certainly not as good as yours,
Mac

Thanks Mac. Well, I am glad you got to see them:). And, your image is quite good for they are VERY difficult to get outside their reed environment. The other afternoon was just one of those times that the moon and the stars, and of course the bitterns cooperated. I am sorry I did not know who you were the other day then I could of pulled you over and you could of joined in the moment:). Harry and I are there week after week and know the place like the back of our hands, so I suppose that does pay off every once and awhile.