Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Av mode
1/250"
F8
ISO:400
HH
LR and CS3

This is snow that had partially melted, froze again and then was melting again. I had to go with a smaller size image and a low quality setting to post so this doesn't look quite as nice as the original edit.

I went with B&W because the partially dead grass in the BG didn't seem to compliment the ice. I then added a tiny amount of blue.

Steve Maxson
01-17-2011, 11:13 AM
Hi Ken. I like this - it has a nice abstract feel to it and the sunburst adds a lot to the image. Good use of B&W. I might wish for more DOF in the ULC, but using a higher f/stop would add too much detail in the background. Well done.

Kaushik Balakumar
01-18-2011, 04:43 AM
Well seen & photographed, Ken.
B&W is suiting this image. Liked that sunburst (as noted by Steve as well).
Am bit unsure of the ULC which contains OOF regions with too much bright area.
Wonder if cropping the frame in such a way as to exclude that section would help...?!

Ken Childs
01-18-2011, 08:57 AM
Thanks, guys!

I think I should be able to do something to fix the ULC (and LLC) without cropping.

Roman Kurywczak
01-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Hey Ken,
Way to go out and keep us motivated.....I should be out there right now.....but stuck behind the computer for a bunch of days. This is the idea I had in mind for the challenge......so hope others are taking notes. Tweaks will take this up a few notches!

Jerry van Dijk
01-18-2011, 04:40 PM
Hey Ken, the sunburst is a great plus, as already noted. I might consider cropping from the right to place it in the LR ROT hotspot to draw even more attention to it

Anita Bower
01-18-2011, 06:26 PM
Nice job. The B&W works well here. The sunburst is great! Adds that something different and unexpected. If you do something with the ULC I hope you post the redone image.

Julie Kenward
01-20-2011, 10:26 AM
Everyone else has pretty much covered my thoughts but I wanted to say how much I like this image! That sunburst is so beautiful and it really gives the eye a great place to land. I'd also consider taking a little bit off the right side to move that starburst further in.

Dave Leroy
01-20-2011, 05:33 PM
Good eye Ken to see the refrozen water drop and then to get the sunburst really tops it off.

It would be interesting to see a repost if you do fix up the corner.

Dave

Ken Childs
01-20-2011, 06:01 PM
Here's a quickly worked on repost....mainly some cloning and contrast work. And some taken off the right.

Andrew McLachlan
01-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Hi Ken, love the repost. The sunburst is perfect. I could spend all day shooting this kinda stuff. Great eye!

Dave Leroy
01-23-2011, 12:22 PM
An interesting comparison.

I find the repost much easier and more pleasant to look at compared to the original.

Thanks for reposting.

Dave