PDA

View Full Version : Larch trees

Kaushik Balakumar
01-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Here I wanted to zero-in on few larch trees growing on vast mountain.
Made this image couple of months back (late autumn) in Switzerland. The trees are back-lit and I was shooting these from the mountains opposite to it.
I have colour images too & though autumn is best seen in colour, I wanted to try posting few B&Ws to know your thoughts on it.
I shall post the colour images soon after posting couple of these B&Ws

Techs:
Nikon D300, Nikkor 70-300mm, hand-held
f/11, 1/400, ISO400

Views/critiques welcome.

Robert Amoruso
01-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Kaushik,

I think this works exceptionally well and B&W is a good treatment when you wish to use contrast and the play of light in an image to impart drama. Just enough light on the dark trees to the eye does not get lost in the negative space and I like how the top tapers off into blackness. Strong geometric shapes as well. The trees are shaped like triangles, but the three groups of backlight trees form an inverted triangle.

Well done. And good to see you back here.

Richard Lovison
01-16-2011, 01:01 PM
Hi Kaushik,

I like the vertical composition and love the effect and pattern of the back lit trees. I often look for similar patterns in the hills were I live as I find them quite beautiful.

The deep blacks offer drama though I wish for a bit more detail in the shadows if only to give a feeling that there are trees in those areas. Though upon looking again, my suggestion might destroy the overall pattern you are trying to display. In any case, nicely done.

Richard

Brendan Dozier
01-16-2011, 05:08 PM
Very nice composition, it does look good in B&W as it enhances the light, shapes, and patterns.
Quietly dramatic to the eye.

Dave Mills
01-16-2011, 07:23 PM
Hi Kaushik, good comments above and I commend you for picking out an interesting composition which was probably among a large grouping. The geometric pattern works well here.
One way to really know how much detail you have in the darker areas is to put a dark backround around the image as opposed to white(which is the way the image is shown). Sometimes the detail in the darks are obscured to the eye by the white around the image. Good one!

Kaushik Balakumar
01-17-2011, 05:33 AM
Thank you all.

@Dave: Very valid point. I'll incorporate that in my next image. Our forum colour happens to be on lighter side & even if I did insert a black border, the large outer page (forum page) colour is likely to influence the image :)

Tim Munsey
01-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Like it, interesting approach.

Tim

Morkel Erasmus
01-17-2011, 02:07 PM
very striking image here sir! would love to see the colour just for the heck of it, but love it as presented...well seen

Dave Mills
01-17-2011, 02:47 PM
Hi Kaushik, What I meant was to put the image into PS..press the f key(on a mac...might be same on PC)
and it will make a gray backround...press again and it will give the image a black backround. This will really show what detail is in the darks. They will be more easily seen....

Kaushik Balakumar
01-18-2011, 05:40 AM
Hi Kaushik, What I meant was to put the image into PS..press the f key(on a mac...might be same on PC)
and it will make a gray backround...press again and it will give the image a black backround. This will really show what detail is in the darks. They will be more easily seen....

Thanks again Dave. I agree with you. I'd made a night image few months back which had subtle details in the shadows but visible only when seen amidst black (still better when viewed in a dark room).

P.S. Also noted the PS BG tip. :)

Roman Kurywczak
01-18-2011, 02:22 PM
Hey Kaushik,
I am really liking what you did here!!! I love all the subtle details and then the dramatic and bold contrast. Outstanding work IMO and very well seen!!!