PDA

View Full Version : Great Bue in Flight

Leon Robinson Jr.
01-16-2011, 11:19 AM
Taken at the Brandon Rookery late day. These BIFs are tough and I am determine to master it!

Canon 7D - Cannon 400m 5.6 - 1/1600 - f5.6 - ISO 500 - HH

Tom Wilson
01-16-2011, 12:26 PM
It seems to be a fairly sharp capture of the Heron in flight. I like the position of the bird in the frame and I like that none of the background highlights merge with the face of the bird. I like the fill light that you are getting off of the water, the wing position and the slight head turn. The only thing that I might suggest working on a bit is the whites on and around the head and bill. At least on my monitor they seem a little hot, not a lot, just a little. You might be able to tone it down a bit in Camera Raw using a bit of the recovery slider and perhaps down on the exposure slider just a tad. I think it's a strong image that might benifit from just a slight change in these areas.

nancy hazen
01-16-2011, 01:05 PM
Leon, I'm right there with you on BIF. The body is a nice position, but I agree with Tom the whites on the head look a bit blown out. Otherwise a very nice GBH in flight.
Nancy

John Chardine
01-16-2011, 05:33 PM
They are tough Leon. Practice, practice, practice. Not that I am a video game player but I suspect it is much the same as this. The more you do it the better you get.

You have captured a very good wing position and head angle in this image. I like the uniform background but you could consider reducing it's impact by blurring a little. The main issue with the image is sharpness- to pull this off, the head/eye needs to be sharp, and if this were the case, the body and legs would likely follow as it is roughly in the same plane.

Sid Garige
01-17-2011, 10:25 AM
Leon,

Here is where the learning process starts. I assume you have a series of this image.
Your techs look fine and we need to find reason why subject was not in focus. We
will resolve that issue and make progress in BIF images.

1. Are you using single point or multi-point focus system?
2. I assume you are in AF-Continuous mode and not in one-Shot mode
3. Go back in the series and identify where the active focus point is in each image. DPP software that come with Canon 7D shows focus points.

Nice seeing you again at Circle-B

-Sid

Leon Robinson Jr.
01-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Thx Sid, always appreciate help & suggestions!

Leon,

Here is where the learning process starts. I assume you have a series of this image.
Your techs look fine and we need to find reason why subject was not in focus. We
will resolve that issue and make progress in BIF images.

1. Are you using single point or multi-point focus system?
2. I assume you are in AF-Continuous mode and not in one-Shot mode
3. Go back in the series and identify where the active focus point is in each image. DPP software that come with Canon 7D shows focus points.

Nice seeing you again at Circle-B

-Sid

Peter Farrell
01-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Excellent in flight pose. Great wing position. BG doesnt bother me to much, maybe a little blurring.
I agree that the bird is oof.
Peter

Mike Wilhelm
01-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Honestly, I have yet to get a clean shot of a heron or egret in flight. They are incredibly difficult but also exciting to shoot. Keep up the good work.