PDA

View Full Version : Acorn Woodpecker v. Pecan

George Cottay
01-15-2011, 09:51 PM
This Acorn Woodpecker also seems to favor pecans. He grabbed this one from a tree at the front of Paton's house, flew right over this shooters head, and perched in nearby tree. After knocking the pecan on the tree a few times times he took off into the woods. I'd like to have seen him seriously work on it.

Many veteran birders know this spot.

Years ago Wally and Marion Paton opened up their backyard just outsidePatagonia, Arizona to birders from around the world. As word spread of this hot spot adjacent to the Patagonia-Sonoita Creek Preserve it was visited by thousands annually. With the passing of Wally in June of 2001 and Marion in August of 2009, the yard remains open under the care to the Tucson Audubon Society. Birders have noted an extensive list of rare birds sighted here with a record maintained on site.

This was our first trip to the Paton House. We will be back for both the birds and birders. It's great fun to hear the experienced hands quietly work out the fine points of identification and recall other sightings old and new.

With some deep late afternoon shadows I was using fill flash. That seems to have both helped and hurt this picture. I wanted a better angle but the bird was not in a mood for much cooperation.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5089/5359047186_5fb2a9f707_o.jpg

Canon 7D, 280mm, f/9, 1/160, ISO 200

Stu Bowie
01-16-2011, 03:06 AM
George, thats a fair size nut to crack ( pun intended:w ) I like the diagonal perch, and agree with your self critique that the angle is a bit steep. Did you add a blue filter to the BG, as there is a blue halo along the branches. I would also run some NR on the BG too. It is good to post your settings too.

Doug Brown
01-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Hi George, and congrats on your first image post! I like the behavior captured in this frame. It was a good idea to use some fill flash, although your EXIF data says that the flash did not fire. The steep angle and busy BG detract a little from the overall visual impact of the photo. Sharpness could be better; try bumping your ISO and using a larger aperture to get a faster shutter speed. Look forward to more of your image posts and interesting stories.

George Cottay
01-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Thanks, Stuart and Doug. I didn't run a blue filter but did punch midtones a bit. The sky was really nice but not quite that blue.

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 7D
Lens: EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +1.4x
Image Date: 2011-01-15
Focal Length: 280mm
Focus Distance: 9.25m
Aperture: f/9.0
Exposure Time: 0.0063 s (1/160)
ISO equiv: 200
Exposure Bias: +0.67 EV
Metering Mode: Spot
Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No

Todd Frost
01-16-2011, 03:14 PM
Not much to add to whats already been said, good advice above. Keep them coming.
TFS
Todd