PDA

View Full Version : Left Behind

Julie Kenward
01-15-2011, 11:00 AM
There was evidence in the snow yesterday afternoon that one of my flickers might have become food for a neighboring Cooper's Hawk. A few spots of blood in the snow and some feathers scattered here and there was all that was left when I returned home to fill the feeders...

Canon 40D, EF 100mm f/2.8
f10 @ 1/100th, ISO 400
Manual mode, pattern metering, handheld, overcast skies
Processed in CS5; contrast, desaturated snow, used Topaz Infocus for sharpening and Topaz Adjust for a tiny bit of added interest to the snow.

Roman Kurywczak
01-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Hey Jules, Great simple comp with great textures and colors. That is nature! I always try to remind everyone to put a thin border around the image with a lit of light otnes on the edges......only because of the BPN light BG! Very nicely done overall!

Anita Bower
01-16-2011, 05:45 AM
Lovely! The feather itself is beautiful with interesting colors, pattern and detail. Nice crop and composition. Great treatment of snow.

Steve Maxson
01-16-2011, 12:57 PM
Hi Jules. I like the diagonal comp, the overall sharpness of the feather, and the detail in the snow. Overall, the image has a very nice feel to it. :)
Just think how different this image would be if there was, say, one drop of blood in the LR ROT position. That would give an entirely different feel to the image while still being true to scene you discovered. (Maybe not the look you were going for. :p )

Brendan Dozier
01-16-2011, 05:24 PM
Ah yes, the circle of life. Nice detail, sharpness, composition, and a story to pull it all together.(though maybe a bit sad for you). I really like how you brought out the detail in the snow.

Ken Childs
01-17-2011, 07:46 AM
Just think how different this image would be if there was, say, one drop of blood in the LR ROT position. That would give an entirely different feel to the image while still being true to scene you discovered. (Maybe not the look you were going for. :p )
My thoughts exactly! The OP is interesting and beautiful but with a drop of blood added, it would be telling a story of nature.

Kaushik Balakumar
01-18-2011, 04:48 AM
Nice diagonaly composition here Julie. Fine exposure as well.
Lovely details in the feather.