PDA

View Full Version : Lower Rosseau Falls

Andrew McLachlan
01-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Autumn color at Lower Rosseau Falls from October 2009. This waterfall is located in Ontario's Muskoka Region which is noted for its stunning fall color. Cloned a stick out from the cascade.

Nikon D200
18-70 mm lens @ 52mm
ISO 100
f22 @ 1.3 sec
Nikon Polarizer

Look forward to comments.

Richard Lovison
01-14-2011, 08:31 PM
Andrew,

The shutter speed works well for the water... love the texture. The composition is pleasing and of course the fall colors adds a nice touch. I like the softness and quality of the light in the background, especially in the pines. Nicely done.

Richard

Dave Mills
01-14-2011, 11:52 PM
Hi Andrew, Nice water flow with softness and detail. The falls appear to my eye to be a bit far to the rt compositionally. I was trying a crop and liked cropping up to the rock on the lower left. I also might back off a small bit on the saturation.

Daniel Cadieux
01-15-2011, 11:34 AM
Stunnin colours indeed, and I like the character of the rocks. Effective use of the SS to create motion blur. I can't help but think the image needs abit of CW rotation?

Roman Kurywczak
01-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Hey Andrew,
I'm a bold color guy......so works for me but Dave is correct that it may be over the top for some! I can also see why Daniel wants a CW rotation......more of a feels like than actually needs....because for me....no real place to judge it! Very nicely done overall!

Morkel Erasmus
01-15-2011, 01:03 PM
really nice scene and colours here Andrew! I would leave the rotation if mine.
does the water seem to have a cast to it?

Andrew McLachlan
01-15-2011, 04:09 PM
Much thanks for the comments guys, very much appreciated. Should be square to the world always use a bubble level in hot-shoe. I think there may be a little optical illusion happening here. Will check the water for color cast. Thanks again.

Kaushik Balakumar
01-16-2011, 12:12 PM
Lovely vibrant colours and just the apt shutter speed to capture water motion. Image looks a bit soft on my monitor (perhaps some more sharpening might help??).
Thanks for sharing.

Robert Amoruso
01-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Andrew,

I thought I would try some ideas on your image so decided to post it. This is what I did and why.

1) Set a white point on the brightest point in the water - attempting to get the water whiter but still not white enough.
2) Used Selective Color and removed all color from the white channel except black - water whiter.
3) Reduce saturation overall and then in red and yellow channels (-7, -21,-8 respectively).
4) Shadows/Hihglights and opened up shadows some, but relaly slide the whites slider over to bring more detail out in the water (Shadows = 25%,25%,30%, Highlights = 47%, 25%,30%, Color Correction +24, Midtone Contrast +1)
5) Sharpened image.

Of course any of this is a jumping off point.

Thanks for posting.

Andrew McLachlan
01-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Thanks Kaushik for comments very much appreciated.

Thanks Robert for the details of your tweaking, will apply that to the image, much prefer what you have done to it. When I compare it to my original post I am thinking I may have forgotten to sharpen the image prior to posting.

Tim Munsey
01-17-2011, 10:31 AM
Awesome spot, Robert's sorted out the sharpening nicely, cracking shot.

Tim