PDA

View Full Version : Admiral on flower

D. Robert Franz
01-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Another image from last springs ICF Pro Tour.. I'm finally editing the entire months take. Shown full frame

Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Shutter speed: 1/250 sec
Aperture: 16
Exposure mode: Manual
Flash: On
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 400
Focal length: 180mm

Patrick Sparkman
01-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Good exposure, subject, and background. Also the subject looks very close to perpendicular to the sensor plane. Looks a little centered to my eye, and if it were mine I would crop it tighter with the butterfly in the left part of the frame.

Ken Childs
01-15-2011, 08:28 AM
Hi Dale, the exposure, light and DOF look good and that BG is wonderful! I wish the bfly was turned slightly towards us instead of away. I don't know if it was possible in the field but a step or 2 to the right made have made that possible. I'm guessing that since this is full frame for the ICF Tour, you plan on cropping for a better composition at a later time. I think you mentioned something like that in a previous post.

BTW, this is an American Lady. :)

Julie Kenward
01-15-2011, 11:13 AM
The crop is also the only thing I'd add / subtract from this. I wonder, too, if you have another image like this where you went vertical? I bet the long stem included with the weight of the butterfly on top of the flower would be lovely.

Roman Kurywczak
01-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Hey Dale,
My thoughts covered above as well. Was the BG real? Looks great but I like using props for some.....so just wondering!

Steve Maxson
01-16-2011, 12:45 PM
Hi Dale. Outstanding light, color, background, and sharpness. My only suggestion would be to consider tweaking the crop a little - perhaps taking some off both sides to tighten it up a bit. Very well done. :cheers:

Brendan Dozier
01-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Real vibrant color and bold image. Great detail and shaprness. Like the BG color, but may be just a bit overpowering to the subject. Agree about crop and possibilities of vertical.

Mike Fuhr
01-18-2011, 07:14 AM
Very nice subject and good comments covered above. I also thought about a slight change to the crop.

Marina Scarr
02-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Absolutely stunning butterfly, BG, picture. It's tack sharp and the colors are wonderful. I'd take a tad off the left to keep it a bit more off center.