PDA

View Full Version : Canon eos 50d about noise

kostas nianiopoulos
01-14-2011, 09:15 AM
From the time i have the lens EF USM IS 100MM MACRO L. , and a new 27 inches monitor in my pc to work esier with the large files ,
i see the noise verry easy when i go with 500 iso or more , many times i shot in 800 some times to 1250 .
The thing is that before i was working with a zoom lens efs is 18-200mm , but i didn't so large noise .
images has taken with the 18-200 at 1600 iso , are less noise than the ef usm is 100mm macro that has taken in 800 iso .
I have also try the filters of the camera , but i dont see see a lot of difference , plus i have read that is better to remove the noise
with a PS plugin ( topaz denoise 5)

For this summer i beleive i can buy the canon 5d mark II ( here for 2000 Euros about ) can i hope in less noise images in
higher iso ? .

I hope i haven't give hard time with my English thanks for reading .
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/3625/mg0425m.jpg

this image in my monitor in 100% view i see noise , i have not edit anything to it , just i have change the long size to 1024 px.
please let know what do u think .

Doug Brown
01-14-2011, 10:39 AM
There's no comparison between the noise of the 5D II and the 50D; the 5D II is much better, with usable ISO of 1600 or even higher.

John Chardine
01-14-2011, 10:51 AM
I owned the 50D and it produced amazing images. However, they could be noisy. To reduce this I always tried to "expose to the right" using the histogram as a guide and use ISOs no higher than 800. This worked very well. I don't see why different lenses would produce different amounts of noise.

Jonathan Ashton
01-18-2011, 06:53 AM
I have a 50D also and I too shoot to the right to minimize noise. I also bought Topaz denoise - I can recommend it.
The 5D will be great for macro - less noise etc but don't forget you will have significantly less magnification than with the 50D so you will need to be closer - probably ok for flowers etc but not always so easy with insects etc.

Roger Clark
01-18-2011, 10:18 AM
Kostas,

The issue is complex for macro work.

The 5DII has lartger pixels (6.4 micron spacing) versus 4.7 micron spacing for the 50D. Thus you will need 6.4/4.7 = 1.36 times more magnification to get the same number of pixels on a subject. If you keep the exposure time the same with that increased magnification, the noise would be the same in both 5DII and 50D if the sensors were the same efficiency. But the 50D has slightly greater efficiency, so the 50D images should show less noise in all but the deepest shadows. The 5DII has lower read noise, so noise in the deepest shadows the 5DII images would be slightly better.

If you work at the lowest ISOs, you will will collect more light and give better signal-to-noise (S/N) ratio with either camera.

However, if your subjects allow you to increase your exposure time, then the 5DII can win. With the increased magnification to compensate for the larger pixel spacing of the 5DII, the increase in S/N could be about 50% but your exposure time will about double.

The technical details are at:
http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/digital.sensor.performance.summary/

Figure 2 shows the S/N for different sensors for mid-gray.

Figure 3 shows the read noise (noise in the deepest shadows). This is for high ISO, but the proportions relative to each camera are about the same at lower ISOs.

Figure 10 shows the signal density, the relative sensitivity normalizing image detail to the same on both sensors. This shows the 50D slightly higher than the 5DII.

If you don't need the magnification, then the 5DII really wins with both larger pixels to collect more light and more pixels.

Roger

kostas nianiopoulos
01-19-2011, 05:14 AM
thank u all for the feedback