PDA

View Full Version : Sunrise at Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod

Richard Lovison
01-13-2011, 11:19 AM
This image was taken in September 2010. I lived in Chicago till I was 30 so I never experienced a sunrise with an unobstructed horizon, nor one over the ocean until much later in my life. I never tire of them.

Equipment used:
Olympus E-3
Digital Zuiko 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 @182mm (364mm 35mm conversion)
tripod
1/320 sec, f5.6
iso 100

Post Processing:
RAW pre-sharpening was applied to entire image. A Nik graduated neutral density filter was used to darken the water as well as the first layer above the water. Saturation was increased. A tonal contrast filter was used to enhance the detail in the clouds. Contrast was increased slightly in entire image. Output sharpening was added just to the sky and clouds. The image was cropped a bit from the bottom as well as the top.

http://www.richardlovison.com/photos/seascape.jpg
copyright reserved 2010-2011, Richard Lovison

Dave Mills
01-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Hi Richard, been awhile and welcome back! I feel you composed the image well with layers of subject and tonality. It also emits a mood which is appealing.
I can't help but want a bit more in the image. It reminds me of a beautiful frame for a center of interest...

Richard Lovison
01-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Dave,

Thanks for the warm welcome and for taking the time to look and share your thoughts. It's very much appreciated.

It's interesting you write that you "can't help but want a bit more in the image". At the time I was taking this image along with a few others, I felt so at peace with a feeling of needing nothing more than what I was experiencing. And then as I packed up to go back to the car I stopped and read what was on a plaque dedicated to Henry Beston, author of The Outermost House. The words were a quote from Henry:

"The world today is sick to its thin blood for lack of elemental things, for fire before the hands, for water, for air, for the dear earth itself underfoot."

Richard

Robert Amoruso
01-14-2011, 10:45 AM
Nice to see you back Richard. I understand where your coming from. I photograph sunrises a lot at Canaveral National Seashore, so I never have anything in the FG that would be considered a center of interest.

I have a number of things I try but if confronted with this scene I would either go with a long exposure to get a smooth look in the water combined with a faster exposure so the clouds are not motion blurred and layer them in PS later. Or do just as you did and accentuate the layering in post-processing. I think with your image I would propose cropping some from the top and bottom and see if you like a more Pano look.

As you said, it is about the feeling it evokes.

Richard Lovison
01-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Robert,

Thanks for the warm welcome and for sharing your thoughts.

Thanks for sharing your method as well as I often dislike the look of the ocean captured at a fast shutter speed with a long focal length and it never occurred to me to do two separate exposures. I'll give the cropping a try also.

Richard

Roman Kurywczak
01-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Nice to see you back Richard. Hope all is well.

Interesting observations above. Like Dave, part of me want a stronger focal point but I have seen Robert's landscapes w/o strong focal points......and they work because of mood and color. I am not familiar with the Nik filters you used.....as you know.....I am an in camera guy.....so haven't toyed with the filters to give specific stuff with them. I do think if you go with a crop all around.....1/3 off bottom.....1/2 off top....and only a bit off the left.....where the clouds lose thier great shape....that would help me flow wise. I know you like to keep things more natural.....but another option if you choose is to play a bit more with the sky saturation and perhpas bring out some more cloud detail. Just some food for thought as the image does convey a tanquil feel as presented.

Richard Lovison
01-14-2011, 02:49 PM
Good to hear from you Roman... yes, all is well.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and suggestions... I see what you mean by cropping a bit off the left. I'll play more with the pano cropping and cloud detail.

Richard

Andrew McLachlan
01-14-2011, 07:12 PM
Hi Richard, I love the cloud formation here and the colors. I don't mind the lack of a strong focal point, have shot many of them myself, but do like Robert's suggestion for a longer exposure to smooth out the water. I think Roman's crop suggestions will give this the tweaks needed to take it up a notch. Nicely done!