PDA

View Full Version : Re-do Pretty in Pink

Nancy Bell
01-12-2011, 07:27 PM
I tried this again. This time I did not attempt any backlighting but instead put the sun to my back. I also used a gold reflector and tried to use the flowers themselves to provide a natural pink background. Let me know...better...worse...what should I change? Thank you for looking.

Canon 7D, Canon 100 f2.8 macro, 1/125, f16, ISO 400, tripod

Roman Kurywczak
01-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Hey Nancy,
I am leaning with I prefer the OP....mostly because of the lighting! I think yo umay explore backlighting....with reflector for a few dark areas.....just a thought for you to explore!

Julie Kenward
01-14-2011, 04:51 PM
Nancy, I prefer the first in the series to this one. The petal on the right edge is as bright (if not brighter) than the main part of the flower so it pulls my eye to the corner of the frame. Also the change from shadowed pink to almost white at the bottom of the frame also isn't working for me...I'd rather see you clone the dark shadowed pink across the entire bottom area.

I like the comp of the main part of the flower within the frame - just the stuff on the edges is not doing it for me. Make sense?

Steve Maxson
01-14-2011, 06:25 PM
Hi Nancy. I'm starting to think that this is a flower that's hard to make look good. :) I don't think the direct sunlight is doing you any favors here as the lighting looks harsher than is ideal (compare this with the soft lighting on Anita's flower in her recent post to see what I mean). Using a diffusion screen to soften the sunlight might make a substantial difference. Keep experimenting!

Nancy Bell
01-15-2011, 06:20 PM
Thanks all for your helpful suggestions. I'll keep on trying...

Anita Bower
01-16-2011, 05:57 AM
Cyclamen are challenging. My solution is to cut off a flower and shoot it in isolation. Since this isn't your plant, you can't do that. Alternately, I have used clothespins to hold other flowers away. I think this image needs the simplicity of a clean background, and maybe move in closer or move further away. Others have made good suggestions. I use diffused light. Keep trying!!!