Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/400
Av( Aperture Value ) 9.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation -1/3
ISO Speed 400
Lens EF500mm f/4L IS USM
AF Mode AI Servo AF
AF area select mode Manual selection

I am unsure regards ID but I wonder if it is some form of Darter (Sympetrum sp. or is it perhaps a Libellula sp.)

This dragonfly was a little hard to reach so I tried the 500mm f4 and was quite pleased with the result. I can't be sure but I suspect I used an extension tube. Regards processing I made a mask of the bud and reduce the highlights, I brushed over a large highlight in the dragon's eye and I applied just a little brushing to the background.

All C & C welcome.

Roman Kurywczak
01-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Hey Jonathan,
Great comp and the light looks fabulous! BG is fantastic too! I would consider lightening the face a touch more.....but fantastic job overall!

Julie Kenward
01-12-2011, 01:09 PM
I agree with Roman - lighten that face and let a bit more of the flash catch light come through - just enough to draw our eye to his! Very nice angle on the df - we get a really nice view of him this way!

Steve Maxson
01-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Hi Jonathan. Another striking dragonfly! Roman nailed the critique so I won't repeat. As an alternate crop, you might consider taking a little off the left. Well done. :cheers:

Jonathan Ashton
01-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Roman, Julie very much for the comments - when you say try lightening the face - in fact I did but there wasn't much there to lighten - it really was that dark! Regards little highlight in the eye - I subdued it because I thought you guys preferred it that way!! It really was very big and bright but I do take your point maybe I could have left a little more. These African dragonflies have presented me with beautiful subject matter but they are extremely bright and contrasting in colour making for difficult presentation.

Steve composition is always one of my dilemmas, I always seem able to comment on other people's images but I frequently present images where folk think my composition could be better. There must be a message for me there somewhere!! I will have a look at your suggestion, as ever they are always welcome and most appreciated.

Ken Childs
01-13-2011, 09:34 AM
Hey Jon, this is a real beauty and you did a fantastic job of capturing it! I would have said the same about lightening the face but now that I've taken a look at it in Photoshop, I see your point about it being naturally dark. It might look better with the BG behind the face lightened a bit but after looking at how fuzzy the face is, I don't know if you could lighten it and still have it look natural but it might be worth a try. This would have been something better done in the field with a small step to the left.

Cropping can be a real dilemma and it's very subjective. I agree that taking some off the left would be a good idea but if it were mine, I'd also take some off the right so the tips of the wings are about the same distance from the top and right frame edges. :)