PDA

View Full Version : Singing Blue Grosbeak

Doug Brown
01-12-2011, 08:32 AM
I photographed this Blue Grosbeak in May of last year. Just got around to processing this file two days ago. Self-critique: I should have bumped my ISO and stopped down to get the whole perch in focus. I'm fairly certain that when I was in the field, I was only paying attention to the sharpness of the bird.

Canon 7D, 500mm + 1.4x, f/6.3, 1/1000, ISO 400, -1/3 EV, hand held

Herb Houghton
01-12-2011, 08:42 AM
The details in the bird are great Doug, as are the colors and sharpness. I think the oof section of the perch is easily overlooked as it has similar tones to the BG. I would have preferred just a looser crop with a tad more canvas around, especially behind it. Congrats, I'm still looking for my first. :)

Richard Unsworth
01-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Hi Doug

Surely one of the world's most beautiful birds.
Seen one once but although I got shots light was poor after rain storm in Costa Rica.
Detail is great and color wonderful. Actually slightly OOF perch sends my eye to the bird, where it belongs
how far were you from the subject?

Stu Bowie
01-12-2011, 09:38 AM
Doug, what a great pose, open beak, and just love that deep blue colour. Tack sharp, and not having enough DOF on the perch doesnt bother me at all.

Raymond Barlow
01-12-2011, 09:44 AM
I like your techs Doug, awesome image, if anything, a titch tight for me.

Charles Scheffold
01-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Wonderful colors and background. I love the shadow of the perch on the bird's body.

Charles

Greg Basco
01-12-2011, 10:24 AM
Hey, Doug. Nice shot of a cool bird. I agree with Herb, Richard, and Stuart about the DOF not posing a problem for you here. I think Ray is right though that a bit more space all around would be nice. I don't know if this is full-frame; if so, you may rethink the crop.

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Craig Brelsford
01-12-2011, 10:32 AM
A stunning bird, indeed. The OOF perch isn't a big problem with me.

Doug Brown
01-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. This is a crop from vertical so I've got plenty of extra canvas to work with, and it's all nice and green. I'll try a recrop later.

Kiran Poonacha
01-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Such a beautiful image Doug Bhai, loved the pose, great setting and a beautiful bird to complete it.. nicely done.

Jonathan Ashton
01-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Doug, the bird is beautifully captured I am not at all troubled or at least I wasn't troubled about the dock (?) plant - only because you drew my attention to it do I now agree with your comments - that is a gorgeous bird. The composition looks good but I wonder if it was a little bit wider if it would look even better?

Jim Crosswell
01-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Great singing pose of this blue beauty!

Todd Frost
01-13-2011, 01:07 AM
What's not to love about this image Doug. Nice techs and colors. Great singing pose.
TFS
Todd

Randy Stout
01-13-2011, 07:59 AM
Doug:

Lovely bird, well captured.

I agree with the others, a bit tight on the left, just a sliver more room there.

If it were mine, I would try to slightly lower the luminosity of the OOF lower perch, make it match some of the more subdued areas of the in focus perch, and I think it would be barely noticeable, and not distracting with such a vibrant subject

Cheers

Randy