PDA

View Full Version : Blyde River Canyon

Mitchell Krog
01-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Hi folks, been quite some time since I last posted here, life tends to get crazy on me every now and again. Hopefully I'll be a bit more regular from now (hopefully).

Hope you all have a great 2011 ahead.

Here's an image from 2010 which did well in the Fujifilm Getaway Wildlife Awards 2010 (http://competitions.fujifilm.co.za/?cat=41) and also recently featured on earthshots.org, except Earthshots got the image title wrong.

Enjoy

Hazel Grant
01-11-2011, 12:59 PM
I can see why it did well. I think the light in the UR corner peeks over just enough to get it that special dreamy look. Sort of Shangri La. Beautiful capture.

Dave Mills
01-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Hi Mitchell, Good comp with the plant(looks like a bromeliad) giving some nice foreground interest. The light ray on the rt is soft, not overpowering and creates a pleasing glow in that area. The distant,hazy mountains along with the cloudy sky add additional complimentary elements. Glad to see that you didn't merge the small branch with the river. If this were mine I would eliminate it....Good job!!

Roman Kurywczak
01-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Hey Mitchell,
Very well done so I can see why it did well! If you are ok with such things.....Dave's suggestion is a good one! Welcome back and looking forward to more!

Robert Amoruso
01-12-2011, 07:57 AM
I agree with the above comments and like Hazel's take on the image.

Andrew McLachlan
01-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Hi Mitchell, agree with the above comments regarding the small branch. Beautiful scene- easy to see why it did well!

Richard Lovison
01-13-2011, 11:24 AM
This is a beautiful image. There is such a feast for the eyes in the foreground and the line formed from the red plant to the river leads the eye into that wonderful background. Well done.

Richard

Mitchell Krog
01-14-2011, 03:35 AM
Thanks very much everyone, appreciate the feedback and it's good to be back. I'll think I'll remove the branch for print versions of the image :)

Morkel Erasmus
01-14-2011, 04:23 AM
congrats on the accolades Mitch...well deserved
love the light and compo here - can only be from the viewpoint at the Blydepoort resort? :)

would you mind sharing some techs? how many exposures, what settings?

good to see you posting here again! join us in the Wildlife forum as well :D

Tim Munsey
01-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Corking image!

dankearl
01-17-2011, 10:35 PM
I like the photo, although I think it would look nice reversed, with a somewhat foggy foreground and a sharp background.