PDA

View Full Version : Bananaquit

Norm Dulak
01-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Nikon D200 w/Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 vr lens @ 400mm, HH
ISO Equiv. 320; f/5.6, 1/200 sec.; Matrix Metering -0.33
PP with PS CS5: Levels and Curves; spider webs cloned out

This Bananaquit, part of a pair that was building a nest, took a brief respite to pose on this flower. The image was captured from the terrace of the Lookout Inn, Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica.

Please tell me, what do you think of this image?

Norm

Robert Amoruso
01-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Norm, the background looks good without distraction. The strong directional light is causing a lost of detail on the left side of the face due to shadow (fill-flash good here). Overall if you could have diffused the light that would be preferrable. Working more detail on the shadow side of the face I might have lik thed the head-on look better. In the available light, a sideways look at a turned head probably would have been better here.

I would have preferred not to see the top leave and bud clipped.

Norm Dulak
01-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Norm, the background looks good without distraction. The strong directional light is causing a lost of detail on the left side of the face due to shadow (fill-flash good here). Overall if you could have diffused the light that would be preferrable. Working more detail on the shadow side of the face I might have lik thed the head-on look better. In the available light, a sideways look at a turned head probably would have been better here.

I would have preferred not to see the top leave and bud clipped.

Thanks, Robert, for your comments! :)

I have to agree that there may be a problem on the left side of the bird's face, where there is arguably some loss of detail. While I was equipped to use an SB-800 strobe with a Better Beamer, I didn't think to employ it since the ambient light was so bright. But I'll keep your comments in mind in the future, although my little bird was not static and constantly changed his position with respect to the sun.

To try to improve the image somewhat in that regard, I've used one of Artie's tricks, selecting the left eye, and then using PS CS5 levels to lighten it. This Repost shows the result. I hope that's better.

I also agree that it would have been better to avoid the leaf clipping at the top of the image, but my RAW file unfortunately does not contain the data to fix that.

Finally, while I was at it I was troubled a bit by the stem above the bird that does not have an attached leaf. So I cloned it out here.

Norm

Norm Dulak
01-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Thanks to everyone for looking. And special thanks to Robert for his helpful comments. It is only through such critiques that BPN members can improve their photographic skills.

Greg Basco
01-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Norm, the repost does indeed look better. Man, those guys move fast, don't they? I absolutely love the BG here!

Cheers,
Greg Basco