PDA

View Full Version : Aphids

Jaime Johnson
01-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Canon 1D Mark IV / Canon MPE65 Macro
http://jaimejohnson.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v22/p279383716-4.jpg

Julie Kenward
01-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Oh no...looks like we have another bug guy with the 65 macro!

I really like this although I wish there was something other than the black BG. The see through colors of the aphids are very nice and you got a pretty good DOF for this lens. There are a few very small bright white spots on the stem of the plant that I'd consider cloning out and maybe a tad more sharpening on the head/eyes of the yellow bug. Love the green/yellow/red of this image!

Ken Childs
01-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Jaime, I love that you captured 2 different color aphids at the same time....both colors look awesome! Both bugs look just a touch soft to me so all I think is needed to make this one really shine is another round of sharpening and to clone out the spots that Jules mentioned.

Please be sure to post the shooting specs for your images. To do an accurate critique, we need to know shutter speed, ISO, aperture etc. This link will tell you more about the type of info you should post with your images.
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?53927-Posting-Instructions-and-Guidelines

Steve Maxson
01-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Hi Jaime. Nice to see you over in Macro! A very nice capture and the two colors really add to the interest of the photo. Pretty nice DOF for this magnification. I, too, would suggest cloning some of those white specs on the stem. As Ken mentioned - please include more of your shooting specs (e.g., ss, f/stop, ISO, whether a flash was used, tripod vs hh, etc). :) As a fellow MP-E user, I hope to see more of your work.

Roman Kurywczak
01-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Hey Jaime,
Can't add much to the thoughts above.......that lens is a challenge on the DOF......so have to agree that this appears a touch soft. Many times I try using live view and zooming in.......just a tip to keep in mind for in the field.