PDA

View Full Version : Yellow billed stork

Johan Kruger
01-09-2011, 03:27 PM
The image is from a visit to the Kruger National Park last week, was miserable and rainy out (hence the specs in the background). Unfortunately the bird was a bit close, so this is as shot, no crop and no canvas to crop differently. Exp 1/800 sec, Focal Len : 420mm f/6.3
Thanks for looking

carole wiley
01-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Pretty impressive bird! You have a nice pose, wish you had more room on the left especially. Too bad about the weather because a catch light would have been nice. perhaps a little contrast or levels would help...

WIlliam Maroldo
01-10-2011, 12:13 AM
Interesting bird! Seems a bit underexposed with a magenta cast, even if the bird has pinkinsh plummage. I'm thinking it should be white.
Do you have PS CS5 by any chance? Using content-aware fills makes adding canvas, on the left side of this image for example, a piece of cake. regards~Bill

Johan Kruger
01-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks for taking the time to comment guys. William, I opened this image and a few others of same bird in camera raw, there is definately pink in there. I have cs5 but not sure what content-aware fills are, will google that tonite. As for the underexp, my thinking was that its better a bit under than a bit over, coz i want to keep the detail in the whites. Will play some more with the image, thanks

Julie Kenward
01-10-2011, 07:28 PM
Johna, here's your image with the color cast removed...see the difference? If you open it in Camera RAW and hit the "auto" white balance it will take it to this instantly. From there you can tweak the settings to get it to where you remember it being but I would be willing to bet I'm pretty close here.

The rain and the tight crop are not making for the strongest image here. The rain would look horrendous if you decide to print it and the muddy feel of the available lighting is not the best (look at how it washes out the grass). Still, you got a beauty of a pose, good detail throughout, and a nice angle so you've got some good things going for you here!

Mikko Viljamaa
01-10-2011, 10:01 PM
Nice repost Julie. And I already like the original one. The rain makes this a better photo to me.

Mikko

Johan Kruger
01-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the advice Julie, the repost does look a tad better :) Thanks Mikko for commenting