PDA

View Full Version : Fog at the Bog II.

Daniel Cadieux
01-09-2011, 12:36 PM
From the same day as my previous post, this was the scene directly behind my back. A young Juniper, alone in a red sea of wild blueberry plants, with the edge of a typical bog forest appearing from the fog behind.

Many people associate landscape photography with wider lenses, but for this image I took out the trusty 100-400L lens to better isolate the small juniper tree (which was about 25-30 feet away) and help render the background forest edge in a pleasing out-of-focus way. The greatest advantage about the zoom is that being on a boardwalk with no way to move back or forth I was able to properly compose the image while staying put. The "IS" was also very helpful with such low shutter speeds (being the handholder that I am!)

Canon 40D + 100-400L at 170mm, aperture priority, evaluative metering, 1/60s., f/5.6, ISO 800, +1 EC (histogram checked), FF. In hindsight I should clean-up the small bare tree almost touching the top of the main subject.

Robert Amoruso
01-09-2011, 03:35 PM
Long lens always good for landscapes to isolate as you have done here.

If you have moved right you cold have eliminated the tree you are mentioning cloning out and created even a stronger juxtaposition with the yellow leaved tree in the BG on the left.

Good to see you here in this forum Daniel and I am looking forward to meeting you on Artie's SWFL IPT next month.

Dave Mills
01-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Hi Daniel, I like how you used the DOF to create the softness in the front and rear of the juniper making it
stand out above everything else. You left a great deal of area on top which I feel is not doing a whole lot for the image in general. I would crop it down to a little above the OOF yellow tree in the backround. This will also accentuate the juniper more....

Robert Amoruso
01-10-2011, 08:03 AM
Good suggestion by Dave on the crop. I would not cut the top of the tree in the BG with the yellow leaves though.

Jay Gould
01-11-2011, 02:26 AM
I like it; I would crop it down to the almost invisible tree behind the rear yellow tree removing most of the empty white sky.

I put a notepad horizontal edge against the various verticals; spot on for my taste.

Daniel Cadieux
01-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Thanks guys for the feed back!! I agree on the crop suggestions...it will be easy if I decide to print (or simply crop) this in a 4:5 ratio:)

Robert, I'm looking forward to meeting you as well...it should be lots of fun!!

Roman Kurywczak
01-11-2011, 06:04 PM
Hey Daniel,
Been way busy.....so a little late to the party. Great advice above on the crop as it takes the impact up a notch. Nice seeing you in here!......and keep up the great work!