PDA

View Full Version : Wood Duck on the Wing

Doug Brown
01-09-2011, 10:35 AM
I got this frame when I spent an afternoon at the zoo with Troy Lim last month. A little more light would have been nice, but I was pleased with this image. The explosion of water droplets adds a lot to the image IMO.

Canon 1D Mark IV, 400mm, f/5.6, 1/1600, ISO 800, manual exposure, hand held

Stu Bowie
01-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Doug, good flight angle, together with a good flight posture. The exposure has brought out the colours nicely. Well captured.

Dan Brown
01-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Great shot Doug! Love the flt angle also. The eye contact is really good! I am not sure about the droplets but they are what they are!

James Salywoda
01-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Gorgeous! Beautiful colors and detail Doug sweet image.

Dumay de Boulle
01-09-2011, 02:15 PM
WOW!!! This is great, the sharpness and colors are amazing...Great image Doug!

Arthur Morris
01-09-2011, 04:10 PM
I am trying to think of a better Wood Duck flight image than this but am not having any luck....

Norm Dulak
01-09-2011, 04:25 PM
I got this frame when I spent an afternoon at the zoo with Troy Lim last month. A little more light would have been nice, but I was pleased with this image. The explosion of water droplets adds a lot to the image IMO.

Canon 1D Mark IV, 400mm, f/5.6, 1/1600, ISO 800, manual exposure, hand held

Doug:

In addition to providing another superb image, you've supplied valuable information here; zoos can be wonderful places for nature photographers to visit! :) And I agree with your view of the contribution of the water droplet explosion.

Norm

Arthur Morris
01-09-2011, 04:32 PM
For more on the zoo check out Denise's January 9th blog post here (http://deniseippolito.com/). For lots more on the zoo check out the Bosque Site Guide.

Norm Dulak
01-09-2011, 04:42 PM
For more on the zoo check out Denise's January 9th blog post here (http://deniseippolito.com/). For lots more on the zoo check out the Bosque Site Guide.

Thanks Artie for the link. Where I'm situated, my choices are the National Zoo in Washington, D.C., and the zoo in Baltimore. They're both excellent. :)

Arthur Morris
01-09-2011, 04:44 PM
YAW. Do either of those have good Wood Ducks? (I know that the former used to have a pretty large Black-crowned Night Heron colony that was good in spring. Is that still active?

Andrew McLachlan
01-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Hi Doug, fabulous - wish it were mine!

Norm Dulak
01-09-2011, 05:45 PM
YAW. Do either of those have good Wood Ducks? (I know that the former used to have a pretty large Black-crowned Night Heron colony that was good in spring. Is that still active?

Hi Artie.

I don't know about the Wood Ducks, but I think you may be right about the Black-crowned Night Heron colony. And if BPN photographers are interested in those birds, there is a really excellent colony of them at York, Pennsylvania.

There is a park in the middle of York, with a concrete-bottomed pond and paved paths to walk around. Amazingly, although this little park is surrounded by heavily traveled streets, it is home to dozens of pairs of nesting Black-crowned Night Herons, and sometimes, some nesting Yellow-crowned Night Herons. There are also some nesting Great Egrets there.

If you go to the York Rookery around Mothers' Day, you will see the birds busily building their nests and sitting on eggs. If you return around Fathers' Day, you will see hatched chicks branching from their nests. And because the paths are so close to the nests, the photographic prospects are excellent. :)

Norm

Rohan Kamath
01-09-2011, 06:22 PM
What an outstanding BIF shot sir. Perfectly exposed showing amazing colours and a ton of details.

-Regards,
Rohan
__________________________________________________ _
Conservation begins at HOME... We CAN make a difference...

Chad Caswell
01-09-2011, 06:25 PM
Great looking shot! Period!

Doug Brown
01-09-2011, 08:00 PM
I am trying to think of a better Wood Duck flight image than this but am not having any luck....

Appreciate the compliment Artie!

Randy Stout
01-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Doug:

A very good combination of pose, angle, exposure, enough blur on the wings and flying water to give it a sense of action, sharpness.

Well done!

Cheers

Randy

Doug Brown
01-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Appreciate the comments folks!