PDA

View Full Version : Juvi Brown Pelican (High-Key)

WIlliam Maroldo
01-08-2011, 11:34 PM
Sony A850~Sony 70-400G@400mm~ISO 1600~1/1250 sec~F5.6~manual exposure~HH~overcast~11-1-2010~Texas City Dike,Texas~CS5

comments and critique welcomed. regards~Bill

my website (http://avianimagesource.com)

Brendan Dozier
01-09-2011, 12:00 AM
Nice one Bill. Like the pose and underwing detail. The lighting is balanced very well, and I can't see any noise at ISO 1600. It looks like the far wing just above the bill may be out of focus. Now I'm going to look up "high-key".:)

Desmond Chan
01-09-2011, 02:08 AM
The only thing I find it strange is the color cast. On my monitor the entire image seems to be covered with a greenish-yellow cast. Otherwise, like the pose, the sharpness and the details.

pat lillich
01-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Gorgeous Bill, amazing detail on the feathers and love the trailing feet (with claws!) The image has a greenish-yellow hue for me too - finding your high ISO photos really interesting -

WIlliam Maroldo
01-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Thanks Brendan, Desmond, Pat. Indeed there is a greenish cast, which I overlooked and seems so obvious! Pretty easy fix. There was NR (luminosity) in ACR which I guess I should have mentioned, as well as a blurry piling of a pier that was to the right of the pelican's head. It was cloned out, and Brendan caught an error in the process on the far wing. Appreciate the feedback. Regards~Bill

Julie Kenward
01-09-2011, 01:46 PM
Bill, that is one fabulous looking pelican portrait! I love the position of the bird and the lighting is very nice. I can see this with a sepia tint to it also - now that would be mighty sweet (it's practically there anyway!) I'd bet your could bring out a little more detail / catch light in his eye with a curves adjustment...there seems to be a trace of one already there.

One small thing - right below his feet and directly above the "ld" in your signature is what I think might be a falling feather?

Super image overall. You do a great job of photographing a bird at the perfect moment.

nancy hazen
01-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Bill, beautifully captured without a lot of shadows. I see the tint too. I hope you post the revised version.