PDA

View Full Version : Lark Sparrow Looking Back

DaveKlein
01-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Happy New Year everyone! This Lark Sparrow image was made in the the Rio Grande Valley of South Texas. I am looking for commentary and critiquing on the head angle and general strength of the image. I like the way the sparrow engages the viewer based on the head pointing back over its shoulder but am not sure if all would agree. Please comment freely. Minor clone removal of droppings on branch and cropping were done. Technical details are as follows:
Nikon D2X
Matrix metering -2/3 EV
ISO 400
Nikon 200-400mm VR lens + TC-17E teleconverter
f/10 @ 1/180 sec.
Gitzo 1325 + Mongoose 3.5b Head

Randy Stout
01-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Dave:

On a look back pose like this, the conventional wisdom is to have the head parallel to the sensor, but I find your image quite engaging, just like you felt.

It has a very strong red color cast, with a bit of green in there too.

I adjusted the color balance a bit with Robt. O'toole's average color blur technique.

It can be adjusted to taste, but I believe the colors in the repost look more realistic.

Your choice.

Hope to see more.

Randy

DaveKlein
01-08-2011, 10:40 PM
Thanks, Randy, for your suggestion and making the adjustment. I believe that version is more accurate. I appreciate the feedback and encouragement

Duane Noblick
01-09-2011, 05:51 AM
I agree with Randy about the colors and I also feel there needs to be more room above the Sparrow...feels kind of cramped up top. I do like the head turn engaging us though.