PDA

View Full Version : Yellow legged gull

Ben_Sadd
01-08-2011, 07:05 PM
For me, the pose is not the best here. Although, I am happy the the beak does not cross the tail feathers. However, I thought I would post as I like the intensity of the eye. Because of the pose I am a little unsure on the crop, so any comments on that would be particular useful.

Also, can someone confirm this as a yellow-legged. I discounted a Herring gull due to the intensity of the eye ring.

C & C welcome.

7D
500mm + 1.4
Av +1.67
1/1250
f/5.6
ISO 800

Desmond Chan
01-09-2011, 02:25 AM
I think the crop is fine. Find the image tilted a tad though :):p:cheers:
What was it around the gull that gave the image an overall pink-purplish look?

Ben_Sadd
01-09-2011, 06:50 AM
Desmond, this was the diffuse winter sun that produced the colour. So would you say it needs a little counter clockwise rotation?

Julie Kenward
01-09-2011, 01:57 PM
Ben, nice job getting such a complete view of the gull.

I did a CCW rotation of -1.5 using the lens distortion filter in PS. I also took down your crop to a 10x7 with the ROT's upper right crossbar right at the gull's eye. You were right to put more negative space to the left as that is the direction he is looking. I think you just need a little tighter crop to bring it all together.

I also added a bit more sharpening - especially around the eye area - but he still looks a bit soft. Did you run NR on the bird by any chance?

Ben_Sadd
01-09-2011, 02:50 PM
Thanks Jules.

No NR on the bird, but I could have probably done a touch more sharpening.

Thank you for the suggested crop, I do like the tighter version more.

annmpacheco
01-09-2011, 03:30 PM
I like the gull, and the crop and sharpening around the high makes it better for me. I like the pink hue throughout the water... TFS, Ann