PDA

View Full Version : the hills

Andrew Aveley
01-08-2011, 11:29 AM
I captured this image last night from a local peak. The sun had already set and these colours and lines made and interesting composition. LR 3 adjustments were small, grad filter on top and overall clarity and vibrance adjustment.

Canon 1DMK 3 , Manfrotto tripod and ball head, remote trigger , 70-200 F2.8 l lens @ 135 mm , F16 ISO 100 , 1,3 sec SS Manual mode with -1 Exposure.

Rob Miner
01-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Hey Andy (if I may be so informal,) You have taken one of those pictures that I have seen in my mind for many years. I would like this picture in pano form as much as I like this one. I have a favorite sunset scene that plays in my mind that would thrump this picture - but it has never been taken. I think that when you took this picture, you were truly free!

Rob...............

Dave Mills
01-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Hi Andrew, the mountain layering is very effective with good detail throughout. The skies soft orange coloration is also very appealing. I like Rob's suggestion of more of a pano crop for the image. I would take a small bit off the bottom and about 40% off the sky. By doing that I feel the image will emit considerably more impact. Good one!!

Andrew McLachlan
01-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Hi Andrew, I love this one as is, but it might be nice to make an alternate version with the suggested pano crop too. Great colors and layering of the mountains here.

peter delaney
01-09-2011, 04:50 AM
Well done... Mr Aveley
Your perseverance paid off ... one of your best... just tweaked the tone curve a bit and cropped .. hope you dont mind!

Andrew Aveley
01-09-2011, 06:01 AM
Thanks for the very kind words Peter , Dave and Andrew ....Rob, yes informal is good :cool: I have of late been working with pano crop and especially the 16 X 7 format and have this as is and as a pano and with just a little of the top and bottom. I was in to minds but thank Peter for the crop and the tweaking .

Hazel Grant
01-09-2011, 08:30 AM
When I first saw this, I thought of my days in California, just as the sun set behind the mtns. It was much like this, and was my favorite time of day. You brought back great memories though this to me. The pano is a good suggestion, but then the orig size allows the majesty of the mtns to come though. Guess it's what you're looking for. both are good ideas.

Daniel Cadieux
01-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Very impressive image, and of course the layers are what makes it - very neat. I also like the mist in the valleys. good pano crop suggestion(s).

Robert Amoruso
01-09-2011, 03:30 PM
Andy, I mirror Rob's comments that I am still trying to get an image like this but not much chance in Florida. I like the Pano crop suggestions as well as the OP crop. Peter punched it up nicely. Well done.

Vivaldo Damilano
01-10-2011, 08:46 AM
Hey Andrew, fantastic image, also prefer the pano crop 10/10. Superb Stuff :cheers::cheers:

Gary Hamilton
01-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Beautiful image, Andy. I prefer the pano crop but both work quite nicely.

For those looking to make a similar image, Glacier National Park in Montana offers similar layered opportunities at sunset on the west side of the Going to the Sun road. You can shoot from the little pullout areas.

Jay Gould
01-11-2011, 02:42 AM
Andrew, Peter

I think it is a lovely image and prefer the RP; personally, I would give it a CCW of .43 to square to cloud lines.

Roman Kurywczak
01-11-2011, 06:02 PM
Hey Andrew,
late to the party! You can take this many directions.....at the very least in the OP.....I would prefer a bit less base (like Peters) and then I could go either way.......but the pano makes the mountain layers even more impactful. Nicely done overall.

Andrew Aveley
01-27-2011, 09:35 AM
thanks for all the comments. Sorry for the late comment !:bg3: