PDA

View Full Version : Drakensberg in B&W

Douglas Bolt
01-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Canon 1Dm2, Tamron 17-35@17 (yes, I know), f9, 1/40s, ISO 100. PP: 4 images stiched together with PSCS5 and converted to BW with NIK Silver.

One of my favorite landscape places in the whole world (that that I've seen so far).
Just starting to use NIK Silver and like it a lot.

CC much appreciated. And, I'll post the color version or a larger, less compressed version of this image, if anyone is intersted.

Dave Mills
01-08-2011, 08:06 PM
Hi Douglas, Good job with the pano crop which suits the image nicely. Nice to see you were aware of a foreground element(grasses) which I might have given just a bit more room to on the bottom. Most of the image appears to be in shade and (for my taste) would of liked better light with more contrast.

Andrew McLachlan
01-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Hi Douglas, looks like a fabulous landscape. I like the B&W conversion. Agree with Dave on the comments regarding the shade.

Sinuhe Hahn
01-09-2011, 03:27 AM
Hi Douglas,
Glad you liked the 'Berg - a really lovely part of RSA.
I would like to see a larger less compressed version, as the tonalities and contrast seem a bit harsh.
What Nik Silverflex settings did you use, specifically B&W filters?
Thanks for sharing, S

Douglas Bolt
01-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Hi Douglas,
Glad you liked the 'Berg - a really lovely part of RSA.
I would like to see a larger less compressed version, as the tonalities and contrast seem a bit harsh.
What Nik Silverflex settings did you use, specifically B&W filters?
Thanks for sharing, S

Thanks, Sinuhe.

I certainly agree with your assessment of the Ampitheater.
I selected the Landscape option from the choices on the left and then tinkered a bit with several settings on the right.
Here's a link to a larger version - http://dbolt.smugmug.com/Photography The image is in the BW Landscape gallery.

Robert Amoruso
01-09-2011, 03:24 PM
Hi Douglas, nice to see you here.

Dave has a good point on the grasses in the FG. I am betting the got cropped in the stitching due to curvature correction. On the right is a tree that was cut. I am betting there are more trees next to it so you had to stop someplace and that was a good place. If not the case and it is a lone tree, then just by it would be a good spot.

Roman Kurywczak
01-11-2011, 05:58 PM
Hey Douglas,
I have to agree with the conversion......not working for me either.....although I do think the B&W conversion is the right direction. Looking forward to more from you here in landscapes!