PDA

View Full Version : lesser Black-backed Gull

Myer Bornstein
01-07-2011, 11:35 AM
The other morning I had gone down to Plymouth at Jenny's pond to see if I could capture some images of the waterfowl that have been reported there. I was able to capture some nice images of a buffleheads and hooded merganser along with gadwall's. But, I am posting a picture of a somewhat rarer gull that flew in and posed for me. The main problem was it was mainly in the shade, and I was sitting on the ground with my tripod and utilizing my 500 F4 lens with a 1.7 telly converter. I like this photograph because it shows the difference between the lesser and greater black backed gull.. The gull has the markings over the head, yellow legs, and more of a slaty-gray back Picture was taken at 1/160 second, F9, ASA 400. Almost full frame and it just at some of the color and light room and Photoshop

Doug Brown
01-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the explanation Myer. I like the nice pose and the beautiful golden water. The side lighting of a bird with a white breast is really tough to pull off without the use of fill flash to balance out the exposure. That said, you did about as well as you could hope to. The whites have a bit of blueish cast to them.

Myer Bornstein
01-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Thanks Doug
I tried to remove the bluish cast but still some is remaining any help would be appreciated

Doug Brown
01-09-2011, 10:11 AM
Thanks Doug
I tried to remove the bluish cast but still some is remaining any help would be appreciated

Hey Myer. Try a hue/saturation adjustment layer. Select Blue, and slide the saturation slider to -100.

Myer Bornstein
01-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Doug
Thanks I needed to work on the original Raw file because I did adjustments to the TIIF file and i it worked. I will add this to my armamentarium :D