PDA

View Full Version : Brown-headed Gull ( Hi Key Image )

RakeshDhareshwar
01-07-2011, 12:55 AM
Had a great day in my first day of shooting . Went to Akhi Beach in Alibag which is a 2.5 hr drive from my place . The key was to experiment . Tried this hi-key image .

Shot with my Canon 1D Mk III , 600mm f4 IS , bean bag support .

Exif : 1/200 , f 4.5 , ISO 200 , +2stops over exposure .

Cheers,
Rakesh

Arthur Morris
01-07-2011, 06:17 AM
Hi Rakesh, I love this image: the high key look, the bird, and the minimalist look with the bird tucked nicely into the corner. The winter plumage face pattern is beautiful. Did I mention that I love gulls?

Were you on the ground for this?

BTW, welcome to BPN and thanks a stack for your membership support!

Arthur Morris
01-07-2011, 06:20 AM
Rakesh, I changed the thread title to match the name of the bird on the image. Please let me know if I screwed up :)

RakeshDhareshwar
01-07-2011, 06:42 AM
Thanx for the words of encouragement , Artie . Actually I had had screwed up before with the name. It is brown headed gull . The 'white' iris is actually a pointer .
Ya, I was on the cold wet sand while shooting this. I must remember to take some change of clothes next time. The drive back was quite uncomfortable , esp with me a vegetarian smelleing of the sea and quite 'fishy' !!

Stu Bowie
01-07-2011, 06:53 AM
Rakesh, I really like the soft light, exposure and pastel colours. Comp wise, if this were mine, I would maybe move into the frame a tad, and would have had a touch more sand at the bottom. Im glad I wasnt driving back with you.:)

Arthur Morris
01-07-2011, 07:41 AM
Thanx for the words of encouragement , Artie . Actually I had had screwed up before with the name. It is brown headed gull . The 'white' iris is actually a pointer .
Ya, I was on the cold wet sand while shooting this. I must remember to take some change of clothes next time. The drive back was quite uncomfortable , esp with me a vegetarian smelleing of the sea and quite 'fishy' !!

YAW Rakesh. Thanks for the ID tip. I changed it back. Coincidently, I just this morning began working on a article on getting low for Outdoor Photographer :)

You mention wet and beanbag in the same sentence--not a good combo. Do check out the Panning Ground Pod and the Skimmer II in the BAA On-line Store by scrolling down here. (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=16) We ship stuff overseas most every day as much of what we carry is not available outside the US :)

Dumay de Boulle
01-07-2011, 07:48 AM
Nice use of space and low angle...Nicely done Rakesh!

Mark Young
01-07-2011, 05:25 PM
Stunning composition with the bird in the lower left. Exposure and bg look great too.