PDA

View Full Version : Who'da thunk... (Papago Pond)

LeeOtsubo
03-18-2008, 09:52 AM
Who'da thunk one could learn so much photographing PODs (plain ol' ducks). Here's another from the Papago Pond workshop with "The Leader of the Pack".

This one had another duck in front, almost touching the breast. Using Robert O'Toole's QM technique, I 'Q'uickly dispatched the offending bird from the frame. I like this one better because I had dialed back to ISO 200 and the corresponding 1/500 shutter speed gave more wingtip movement and smoother ripples. Canon 20D with a 300/2.8 & 2x TC at 600mm.

The only thing I'm unsure of is the reflection of the palm tree to the left. It looked good in the original but it seems too overpowering in this crop.

Lana Hays
03-18-2008, 11:20 AM
Lee
I really do like this one better than the last one......more detail and more of a 3D feel to it. I also like the blur in the wingtips. Excellent job on the QM.....something I still need to work on. I'm not crazy about the change in water color due to the reflection but.......the duck is so large and beautiful in the frame, I really don't notice it as much as I might. Also.....you can't always get repositioned fast enough for a wing flap to get a perfect BG. Well done on this one.

LeeOtsubo
03-18-2008, 07:55 PM
Thanks Lana,
Robert's QM technique is well worth the price of the CD. I've repurposed it for several different situations where I needed to quickly cover up something including some busy landscapes.

James Salywoda
03-19-2008, 09:35 PM
Beautiful pose and excellent details...

LeeOtsubo
03-20-2008, 09:39 AM
Thanks Jim. I lived part of my misspent youth in HB. I was amazed when I went back to Bolsa Chica for the first time in nearly 40 years. The place is a jewel. Are you one of the BC regulars who practically live there?

Leroy Laverman
03-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Well captured shot. The dark patch in the background is somewhat distracting but the duck really is superb.