PDA

View Full Version : B&W Train Tracks

jack williamson
01-05-2011, 11:05 AM
I suppose everyone has their own version of this image. Sun was high and light was harsh.

Clicked convert to grayscale in the hls/grayscale tab in acr and messed around with the color

channel sliders until I got this.

Nikon D300, 18-55 f3.5-5.6, manually set f9, 1/1250, iso400

Bill Randall
01-05-2011, 02:29 PM
I like the mood you conversion has created. Old timey and view I saw many times in my youth. The composition makes you wonder about infinity.

Dave Mills
01-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Hi Jack, Nice perspective with the tracks fading into the distance and good sky with alot of interest. If this were mine I would lighten it a bit and add some contrast careful not to make the sunlit area of the track too bright. I would have preferred not having the cut puddle on the rt but the image is strong enough for it not being a deal breaker....

Roman Kurywczak
01-05-2011, 09:36 PM
Hey Jack,
I agree with Dave's assesment. I think this one needs a bit more PP work. I think if you tone down the puddle......and really work the scene......all but the brightest spot.....with levels or B/C layers......or multiple combos......will take this up to it's full potential! I must confess that I like bolder B&W's......tweaking the tonal range as far as you can go.........perhaps a bit old school......but I cant help but refer to the old time B&W's and why we were drawn to them! Just some food for thought.

jack williamson
01-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Thank you all for your feedback Bill, Dave, and Roman

Daniel Cadieux
01-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Neat! Only other suggestions I could throw in there are to level the horizon (or railiway track!)...looks like the train would be leaning towards the left, and I would crop a tiny bit below to hide the plank that is just barely in the frame (BTW that plank does show the tilt in the image and rotation needed).