PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfly (Libellula sp??)

Jonathan Ashton
01-05-2011, 04:49 AM
Camera Model Canon EOS 50D
Firmware Firmware Version 1.0.7
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/100
Av( Aperture Value ) 16.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 400
Lens EF180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
Flash Off
White Balance Mode Auto
AF Mode AI Servo AF
Picture Style Standard
Color Space Adobe RGB
I took this shot on my recent trip to The Gambia. I am unsure of the dragonfly species. The background is a muddy river containing nearby crocodiles so I decided the angle of view was perfect!
I have adjusted slightly with shadows/highlights and done a little cloning and brushing - some of the leaves were rather bright and had partly blown highlights.

Julie Kenward
01-05-2011, 07:29 PM
Jon, I see two things you could work on here. First, he's pretty well in the center of the image. I'd take some off the right side (since he's pointing his body to the left) and get him more in the left 1/3 of the frame.

Also, I'd check the red channel - looks awfully saturated and there appears to be a loss of detail in the reds. If you have a spike on the red channel's histogram, pull the color back a bit until you can see more detail.

He's certainly colorful, isn't he? And the BG sets him off nicely!

Roman Kurywczak
01-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Hey Jonathan,
hope you had a great trip! I agree with Jules on the red channel....looks toasted in the OP. I do think if you pull them back and do the suggested crop.....it will take it up a notch or 2.

subhrashis
01-05-2011, 11:09 PM
Agree with Julie and Roman, the crop and red desat will definitely improve the great pose you have here, and it will also remove some of the not so flattering leaves. The beautiful bg goes well with the color!

Not sure about Gambian insects, but if I saw this where I live, I'd say it was a crimson marsh glider.

Jonathan Ashton
01-06-2011, 05:08 AM
I appreciate your quick replies and thanks very much for the advice - I will have another go.:)

Jonathan Ashton
01-06-2011, 06:56 AM
Jon, I see two things you could work on here. First, he's pretty well in the center of the image. I'd take some off the right side (since he's pointing his body to the left) and get him more in the left 1/3 of the frame.

Also, I'd check the red channel - looks awfully saturated and there appears to be a loss of detail in the reds. If you have a spike on the red channel's histogram, pull the color back a bit until you can see more detail.

He's certainly colorful, isn't he? And the BG sets him off nicely!

Here is my repost. I double checked the Raw conversion and the Red channel was not oversaturated, (I recall doing this at fist conversion), though I agree it appears OTT. The simple fact is is was extremely red, so I did a Saturation layer and selected the reds on the dragonfly body, and only by reducing very drastically did I see much difference, so still using the red channel I simply lowered the lightness. I appreciate the image may appear still rather red but on reflection when I saw this little guy I remember saying just how red he was. I have recomposed and tidies up a few leaves. What do you think - better? Or have I made a pig's ear of it?

Ken Childs
01-06-2011, 08:20 AM
Hi Jon, I agree with the others that the reds looked pretty hot in the OP and the repost looks better in that respect. As to the crop, I think I'd go tighter all the way around, having about the same amount of space between the edge of the frame and the tips of the wings on each side.

I can't help with the ID but if I saw this dragon in North America, I'd say it was a species of Sympetrum or maybe Celithemis.

I can't help but think that a different angle, maybe one taken with you standing in the water, would have resulted in a much more exciting image. :D

Jonathan Ashton
01-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Thanks Ken, I think it does need a bit of re-cropping. Not sure about me standing in the water but if you would like to show me I can take you there!!:D

Roman Kurywczak
01-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Hey Jonathan,
I too tend to prefer tighter crops......so you know my feeling there, but again, personal. Reds are diefinitely better in the repost. Very nice job following the suggestions